Monday, August 18, 2008

Camping at Warren Dunes

Any one who knows me is probably shocked, but it's true. I did it, was a good sport about it, and even had a great time. I have to say that my biggest worry was actually that it would be blazing hot in mid-August but thank goodness the weather was perfect. Really, there were actually only 3 things I didn't like about camping: 1.our mattress got a hole and went flat the first night, 2. we all came home with a bazillion bug bites, and 3. Ben was like the rooster that woke everyone at the crack of dawn (sometimes a little before the crack of dawn). With that said, the positives far outweighed the negatives and I'd even venture to say that we'll do it again. That's right, you heard me...so here are some of my favorite things about camping:
1. the friends we went with (thanks especially to Elizabeth for getting us all organized and making sure no one went hungry!)
2. the kids loved it
3. sitting around the camp fire after the kids went to bed
4. the beach - perfect sand and fresh water instead of salt water
5. Stopping at Culver's for custard on the way to and from (okay, so this is really not part of camping but still one of my highlights).

Here are a few pics from the trip:

Some of the boys sitting around the campfire, Ben looks pretty comfy in the pink chair, huh?

This was both Keely and Ben's first camping experience. She was soooo excited to sleep in a tent and sleeping bag

Ben and Shawn both worn out from not getting enough sleep (look closely to see Ben's head peeking out under the arm of the chair, he slept like that for almost 2 hours!)

Mike C.'s back after the first day at the beach - Natalie, you did a bang up job of rubbing that sunblock on! : )

Keely and Cora loving the beach!

16 comments:

Arah Debra said...

That sunburn streaked back shot is hilarious. And I love that picture of Keely and Cora. What a couple of cuties!

Rochelle said...

The red and white Zebra stripes are classic! Love it!

Delsa said...

What a camper!!!I didn't know you had it in you. But, who could complain about camping at the beach. Did you actually buy camping equipment? I knew Shawn's Eagle Scout would come in handy sometime. It did didn't it???

Anonymous said...

So proud Lisa!!! Dang, we were only one week short of joining the festivites... maybe next year! We're coming back tomorrow, but don't worry about picking me up, my little brother is coming with me, and we're going to rent a car for a couple of days so we have something to drive until brian gets in town. Can't wait to hang out!

Aundrea said...

You are a brave woman! Camping with little ones is always an adventure:) Love the stripes on your friend's back!

kesli said...

Tell Natalie that happens to the best of us. I did the same thing to Ryan last summer in Newport. Opps!

KerrieLeigh said...

You are brave. I hate camping with little kids! I worry too much so it takes the fun out of it. That sunburn looks so painful, but I can't help but laugh.

emandteem said...

Wow, Lisa Quinn went camping. Good for you. I love Warren Dunes...great beach. Looks like fun!

The Cherry Family said...

Lisa!!! It was the spray!!! And I love the picture of Cora and Keely. It's beautiful from a cute kid's perspective and good photography.

Elizabeth said...

Nice excuse Natalie, those look like some serious hand marks. It was a great laugh though for the evening, sorry Mike. I'm SO glad you guys came, it was so much fun! Now, we have to convince those Ellises to join us next year. (hope you are reading this Kristin)

Autumn said...

I'm so impressed! I always knew you were a camper at heart! Way to be a sport! Love the sunburn pic...so funny!!

Updates From The Outback said...

Remember the time I came home early from a "campout" at the Blue Mountain Ranch because of the mice running across the floor of the lodge where I was sleeping? Looks like youv'e got some of your father's camping spirit.

Jana said...

Ohhh, I am still laughing at the sun block picture. Maybe we can all go camping when we live by you. If you'll have time for us Smythes. Camping is actually pretty fun. But I was only string enough for one night at a time.

Sharon said...

What a great time! You guys were pretty impressive campers for not having much experience. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Jill said...

Great photography! ;) Really though, it was so much fun and I'm on board for next year! I agree with Elizabeth, the Ellis' should definitely be there!

The Stringham's said...

OH MY GOSH that pic of Keely & her friend is SOOOOOO CUTE!!!