Monday, January 5, 2009

Pre-Christmas

Preparing for Christmas was filled with the usual hustle and bustle this year:

Decorate Christmas Tree: Check
Keely was like, “mom, get a picture of me putting ornaments on!” This is her totally natural “I’m putting ornaments on the tree” pose.
Dress your kid up like an Elf: Check
I don’t know why but Ben found this hat and just latched on. He would walk around the house pointing at his head saying, “hat.” He was very proud of himself and I have to say pretty cute too. I know his PJ’s are way too small but don’t judge me. The kid grows like a freaking weed! : )
Fly out to help your sickly sister: Check
Okay this wasn’t originally part of the plan but my sister Arah got her tonsils out and I knew that her husband Steve was there to help her over the weekend and then her mom-in-law was there to help her through Tuesday and then she was on her own. I knew she was sick and miserable and I kept walking around with this completely helpless feeling wishing I could be there to help her. I talked to her mom-in-law on Tuesday morning and she told me how much pain Arah was in and how out of it she was and that did it. I asked Shawn if I could go and he got on board and agreed to take the kids for the next 3 days. Thanks to his frequent flyer miles I was on a plane that night. If you can call taking care of a sick person “fun” well I guess this was. Really, it was so nice to have the helpless feeling gone and feel like I could put myself to use for someone I love. I’m grateful that Shawn let me just jump ship and go.Take the kids sledding: Check
Shawn took the kids out sledding with Kristin and Abram while I was gone. Thanks to Kristin who kind of let (or invited) the family to hole up with her family while I was gone (neither Shawn nor Kristin are people who like to be alone) I always knew the kids (and Shawn) were being well taken care of. I love this picture of Ben because it is so him. He’s almost never without a ball.

16 comments:

Arah Debra said...

I love that picture of Ben in the hat! Gavin in was cracking up when he saw it. I can't wait to squeeze that boy again!! And Keely looks soooo natural decorating that tree.

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I don't know what I would've done if you hadn't shown up in my doorstep. I love you and Shawn for that.

Thanks you for finally posting. I've really missed reading your blog. Can't wait to see the Christmas and New Years Eve post.

Autumn said...

I'm SO glad you updated! BTW I was totally entertained reading all of your bullets! LOVED the way you put it together! Can't wait to see more!! hint..hint... I'm so glad you came to take care of Debbie! You are so awesome! I miss you!!! When are you coming back?

Unknown said...

Glad you posted I have been missing your blog. Maybe next time you should stand by me, te he he. It was really fun seening you.

KerrieLeigh said...

Holy cow! You were MIA for so long and now I can't catch up. Great pictures!

Aundrea said...

Good to see you guys again:) Loved reading about all the updates and seeing all the cute pictures...Happy New Year!

Shauri said...

All I can think of when I see those pjs is "fat man in a little suit." Poor Benji-- his mommy won't buy him clothes that fit... ;)

RicAnn said...

What a fun check list :) Looks like you guys had fun in Utah. I am so glad you're back to blogging.

Byron said...

Dang, girl! When you post, you post! Fun updates, very impressed.

Hubers said...

Wow you guys have been busy! Your kids are growing up so fast. That little Ben is so different, but so dang cute!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Delsa said...

All I can say for all of these posts is thanks. I loved looking at the pictures and finding out what you have been doing. Thanks for taking the time.

kesli said...

Isn't it great to finally catch up with the posts? You did a nice job. Shawn was a good sport to wait around for all us late morning out moms to finally show up while you were in Utah. He was there at 10am on the dot and the rest of us slowly trickled in. Now he knows our secret.

Abbigail said...

awesome post, check.
Kids are so cute and so big! Lets get together soon. I miss you all. I got another dog, have I told you? It is insane. I have a new blog... http://abbiisraelsen.blogspot.com

Abbi

Do you want to do lunch this Friday?

Becky said...

Holy crap Lisa! When you blog, you really blog! I loved catching up with all the goings on of your holidays. I have lots of those "natural" looking pics of the kids putting ornaments on the tree,too!
That shark picture scared me. Imagine that behind you while you're waterskiing!
Great to see you today!

Mark said...

1. The ornament thing cracks me up! What a little model!
2. That grinch is freaky!
3. Shawn is awesome taking the kids for three days! Mark just did it for the first time ever...because my grandma passed away.
4. Did Emily move to Washington? I thought they lived in Idaho??
5. You do look skinny next to Autumn! You look fabulous!!
I just bought some expensive wrinkle reducer, only in hopes that I'll look like you one day! You seriously look great.

jenny

Jana said...

You got to check everything off your list?! Lucky you. I think I can only have 2 checks.

Updates From The Outback said...

That's quite a pose!