Monday, July 23, 2007

DC or Bust

Victory! Just got back from my first trip flying with 2 kids alone! Sure the flight is only one hour, but I’m still going to consider it a feat. People are so nice when you’re alone with two kids, a double stroller, car seat, Disney Princess backpack, diaper bag and purse. Everyone kept asking if they could help me and I felt very strong and independent letting them all know that I had it under control. There was only one moment that I got an “I hate your naughty little kids” look and that was when Keely put her feet on the guy sitting in the window seat next to her. I’m happy to say that the situation was handled quickly and there was no big outburst from either Keely or the scary man.

Our actual time in DC was wonderful. We stayed with Kristin and Abram – great hosts whose only drawback is their early bedtime (around 9 they start getting droopy eyed, yawning, and complaining of exhaustion). Amy and the kids were kind enough to make the trip from Charlottesville to DC and spent the first night and day with us also. We went swimming Tuesday night and to the hot, muggy, uphill all the way with a double stroller Zoo on Wednesday. While I personally could have done without the hike the kids had a great time and so I’m going to proclaim the event a success. My highlight was anytime we got to go to an indoor, air conditioned exhibit; Keely’s highlight was the Pygmy Hippo and the cotton candy that Amy sprung for at the end; and Ben’s highlight was anytime he got picked up and out of the stroller – good times!

I would have to say that my favorite part of the trip was the day that Kristin and I got a very expensive but very worth it babysitter from 11-5. We went and got pedicures, lunch at the Carlyle, and took in the movie “Waitress,” all things I would highly recommend. The food at Carlyle was amazing and Waitress was a fantastic movie! Anyway, thanks to Kristin, Abram and Max for a great time!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

I love the Carlyle! I just love DC.

Jenny said...

Sounds fun! I don't think we'll be visiting DC anytime soon considering we live on the other side of the country. We miss you guys.Abby still talks about Keely (we haven't found another friend quite like her) Your family is so cute!

Jana said...

So fun. When are you coming here now? :) Flying alone is nuts. The flight home from Utah was fine, but we had a few choice moments that I would like to just forget about! Hey, Jason and I are thinking about coming to Ann Arbor in August. Will you guys be there?