Sunday, July 15, 2007

My kid's smarter than your kid!

So ever since Benjamin’s arrival Keely has started pretending to be a baby A LOT. It’s not something I especially like and in fact it drives me crazy! Anyway, when she acts like a baby she kind of makes this squishy little face, flails her arms around, and says “ah, ah” over and over again. I don’t know if I’m giving the description justice but it gets old real fast. So this last week we were in the grocery store and the check out lady starts talking to Keely. At first she asks her a couple questions to which Keely answers “Ah, Ah” all the while making this silly face and flailing her arms. I notice the lady gets a little uncomfortable and then talks more gently and slowly to Keely. On the way out I was puzzling over this woman’s change in her interaction with Keely when I suddenly realized (and I’m pretty sure I’m right) that the cashier actually thought Keely was retarded!

Later this same week we go to a new art class that I just enrolled Keely in. Because the class is only 45 minutes long most the parents just drop their kids off in class and then sit out in the hall and visit until it’s over. So I’m sitting in the hall talking with some moms about the pros and cons of putting your child in Kindergarten when their birthday is close to the cut-off point. One woman is pretty adamant that the best thing to do is wait and I start saying that I think Keely will do just fine even though she’ll be one of the younger students in her class. I then go on to talk about what a great vocabulary Keely has, how smart she is, etc…you get the picture. So class is over, out comes Keely and over comes this woman with her daughter. She bends down and introduces her daughter to Keely and then asks her a couple questions like, “How old are you?” to which Keely responds “Ah, Ah!”- arms flailing, tongue hanging out. By this point I’m more than ready to go so we’re quickly saying our goodbyes when this woman leans in and quietly says, “I would really think about holding off a year.” Aaahhh!

7 comments:

Carly said...

So hilarious, but for your sake I hope this stage doesn't last long!

RGVprof said...

I think it's great that you have a blog!! We don't have one yet, but I'm getting tempted. I totally know what you mean by the baby thing. Sadie does the same thing. It's getting old. But sometimes it's hard not to laugh. Your post made me lol.

Cory said...

Oh man! Sorry leaving you with a mess...but the parties are so great at your house! :) I can totally relate to all your rules and stories--it made them extra funny I think. The swim lesson lady thought I was crazy when I said Izzy can swim and then I shoved her off toward the lady and she just started flailing and sputtering. It was a great moment in which I too didn't try to explain, I just got out of there. Hang in there and hang out with the rest of us crazy moms. You've got the cutest fam. Love, the Costley Clan

The Cherry Family said...

Sorry, Lisa. That is so funny. Oh man, you've had a good week. If you guys want out of the house, Keely and Brayden can be babies together while I try to potty train. Ug.

Sharon said...

LOL, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time but thanks for a great laugh. I'm sure Keely will do just fine in Kindergarten. Sharon

Jana said...

You are putting Keely in Kindergarden? DANG! I am so jealous!!! I would love several hours all to myself every day. Or at least with one less kid. That was a total crack up. Loved it.

Jill said...

Clark went through the same thing! What can you do? It is so interesting to hear people opinions about kindergarten! I had one gal tell me that she was probably going to hold back her 8-month old when the time came. Unbelievable! Anyway, I love to hear stories about Keely--she is hilarious!