Wednesday, November 7, 2007

G'Day Mates

My mom and dad are leaving on a mission to Adelaide, Australia this month which I have been anticipating for a long time because I know that they are going to be amazing missionaries. Now that the time has come though, I’ve found myself a little more sentimental and it’s really hit me how much we’re going to miss them in the next 18 months. I mean it when I say that mom and dad are two of the most inspiring people I know. And here are just a couple reasons why:

I’ve known for as long as I can remember that my parents are madly in love with each other. Seriously, their love for each other has always been evident and in turn has made me confident in their love for me and now my children, their grandchildren. Family is everything to them. There is nothing better than knowing you always have someone to turn to, someone to listen to you, someone to give you advice when you need it.

Also, my parents are both teachers by profession. I remember when I was in grade school my mom spending hours with me; working on spelling, reading, times tables. She got energy from teaching and from watching me learn. I have all my life been grateful for those hours she spent with me. And my dad, I was lucky enough to have him as my 6th grade teacher. At first I remember I was concerned because, who wants to have a parent looking over them at school?? It didn’t take me long to figure out, however, that my dad’s personality and ability to relate to people would quickly endear him to my classmates. My dad affected the kids in my class so much that he was invited to be the key note speaker at my high school graduation. That kind of teacher is one you can’t complain about, even if he is your dad.

Another thing I appreciated about my parents was their open-door policy with my friends. I can’t count how many times I came home to find my friends hanging out happily with my parents. Everyone just felt comfortable in our home, felt like they belonged and I know my parents created that.

Okay, the last thing I want to say before this becomes a novel is that my parents’ faith has always been an incredible strength to me. I never doubted their testimony so I knew I had to find mine. I watched them pour themselves into calling after calling. We had prayer and FHE faithfully despite complaints from kids who did not have the time or desire to participate. Going on this mission is just one more example to me.

As I look these things over it makes perfect sense to me that they’re supposed to go share with others. They get to share their love, they get to teach. Their natural acceptance of people along with their testimonies of the gospel will make them perfect for the tasks ahead of them. I’ll miss them everyday but I love what they’re doing! Oh yeah, and fortunately I know the Mission President and assume that they’ll be well taken care of. : )

So G’day mom and dad, we love you and will miss you so much!

10 comments:

Arah Debra said...

Ditto

Arah Debra said...

I'm reading this with Mom and Dad. And Dad just said, "He had no idea he was such a wonderful person."

Shauri said...

And here I always thought he perfectly understood that! :)

This is sweet and it made me cry thinking about my parents. I guess we're all pretty luck to have such good examples.

I'm mostly mad because I know the four of them are going to have so much fun in Australia and we can't be there!

Lauren said...

Amen to your post about your mom and dad. I've only met them once, but they are SO COOL! It's funny to me how your dad and Joe always have such a funny sense of humor. Your mom is so sweet! I'm sure that they'll miss their grandkids like crazy, but what a neat opportunity-especially with the mission president that they'll have!

Updates From The Outback said...

When we were all together during these last two weeks I would often look around and think, "This is what it's all about." I can't begin to explain how blessed I feel. Thanks so much for the important part you and your family have played in all the happy memories.
I love you all so much,
Mom

Aundrea said...

I feel like I'm barging in on a family discussion, but oh well...I have fun memories of your parents too. I loved how your dad would always call your mom "woman", your mom would just kind of roll her eyes. You could totally tell they were head over heels in love with eachother. I remember being in you dad's class and we did an experiment with petri dishes. Well, what I remember best is that we chose Elden Nez to put a booger in the dish and see what would happen...not pretty! I also remember your parents taking us out to Devil's Heartbeat and your dad had Mike and his friends scare the holy crap out of us! That's so cool they're going on a mission, but they look way too young to be couple missionaries! (Sorry that turned into such a novel)

Autumn said...

I loved how we could show up at your house anytime and just walk right in...(if you knocked no one would answer anyway). I always felt so comfortable at your house and there was always a strong spirit there. I think I am most thankful to Jim for confirming me a member of the church...I still remember the words of his blessing and it is so special to me! I am a better person because of you and your family! Love you guys...you're going to be awesome missionaries!

Tanya said...

What a great tribute! They definitely will need that one in some kind of bound journal or something. Hope you are having fun in NYC!!

Sadlers said...

Hey Lisa,
So I miss you like crazy. When are we going to hang out again. Also I am taggin you. Go to my blog for details.

Michelle

Becky said...

Great post, Lisa! Jealous that your parents get to go to my homeland for 18 months! Tell them to bring me back some meat pies. Oh, and some violet crumbles and maybe some pasties and sausage rolls and a lamington and . . . (sigh!)