Monday, November 12, 2007

New York Minute


What a great weekend! I got to go to NYC for a girls’ weekend with 3 of my closest friends, Arah, Jana and Emily S. I always love visiting NYC and always look forward to the shows, food and shopping but I have to say that my real highlights from this trip were the moments that I didn’t pay for at all. You know those moments when you’re all laughing so hard you can’t breathe? Well, there were lots of those but I’ve realized that putting those experiences down in writing does not always do them justice (and also maybe the fact that I’m not tired and delirious right now), so they will just have to live in my memory forever. : )

Here are a few highlights that I can share:

1. Food! Whenever I go to NY the food is always one of my top highlights. Some of my favorites were breakfast at Norma’s and breakfast at Maison, lunch at Patsy’s and dinner at Sala Thai. A couple of my favorite “snacks” were Pumpkin Steamers at Starbucks (try them!), Apple Strudels at Dean and Deluca, and Chocolate Croissants at Junior’s. One place to never eat in NY – Roxy’s Diner! Nasty and way over-priced (see Arah’s Corned Beef Sandwich in Slide Show- sick)!

2. The shows. I loved seeing Mamma Mia. Great cast and a lot of fun! We were singing the songs the rest of our time there. We also saw Chorus Line but definitely NOT worth the money! I was just glad we got to see 2 shows though; we tried to go to more on Saturday and Sunday but the stagehands went on strike and Broadway was pretty much shut down.

3. Shopping in SoHo. We could have spent everyday there and really not made a dent in the place, but I have to say we did pretty well even in the short time we were there. Also, thanks to Emily D. and Jana, found two cute stores, Zara and UNIQLO, very cute and not too pricey!

4. Friends. Not only did I get to go with three great friends but we got to get together with our friend Emily D. quite a bit while we were there. Emily, tell your family thanks for loaning you out for three days!

Some random highlights:

1. When I turned to this girl next to me at Mamma Mia and asked how she liked the show. She said she loved it and then said “especially the boy dancers” and then raised an eyebrow at me like, “Know what I mean??” I just had to smile and turn away, I was dying! Sorry, but boys in stretch pants – No!

2. When this guy was trying to recruit us to a comedy club and Jana wanted to go. I told her that comedy clubs in NY are not worth the risk so she went back to ask the guy how much swearing there was and if the show was degrading to women. I would have loved to see the look on his face!

3. Arah’s corned beef sandwich. We all just busted up laughing when it arrived at the table. She gave it back to the waiter and was like, “I don’t even know what to do with this.”

4. And this one’s for the girls: Jana’s Holiday Inn/Crown Plaza comparisons, the sleep CD, “Go ahead, you all look alike”, Arah’s night time bathroom visits, full beds/bed hogs (i.e. Arah the boulder), guy posing with us for Chorus Line picture, horse nails, mean taxi driver, and finally our nice taxi driver (“well do you?”).

Thanks girls - Here’s to next time!

12 comments:

Tanya said...

So fun!! I'm sure you didn't even miss me one bit :) Let's start planning the next one!

Aundrea said...

Now that sounds like a fun "girl weekend"!

Arah Debra said...

Thanks for the post Lisa. Now I don't have to write hardly anything. I just put a link to yours. I was cracking up when I read random highlights #4.

Autumn said...

I am so jealous! Girlfriend trips are the best!

emandteem said...

Ditto to Debbie's comment...actually, do we have to call you Arah, now that we aren't in NY? I really am going to just link to yours until I get my pictures uploaded. Thanks for doing all the work.

emily said...

Love the pics and loved seeing you guys even more. Just picked up where we left off...2 to 4 years ago!

Hope you had a great reunion with the little ones and Shawn. Did Keely like her ballerina music box?

Tanya said...

I'm sure you have read this, but just in case...
http://ldslivingonline.com/article.php?articleId=31115

Jana said...

I am still LOL! Especially the "Well do you" comment. :) Answer me dang it! :) That was so fun. Now for Phoenix. I already warned Jason. He said he liked you more when you were much poorer. :)

Abbigail said...

so fun! I am glad you guys got to do so many things in such a short time.

Autumn said...

Lisa...four leaf clover...very small and painful! (for Bryans b-day)...I am tagging you to do 100 things about you!

Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun! Speaking of New York, and McDreamy... maybe we should go see that Enchanted movie some night after the kids go to bed...glad you're back! Oh, and am sure you can imagine the excitment in our house as Jason Bourne was named the sexiest...

Mark said...

Sounds so fun!!And it was great to see pics of Emily and Jana. Hello, it is seriously time for me to have a girls weekend away!! You look so cute in all the pics!

jenny