Friday, November 30, 2007

Miss Manners

So you know when your kids start saying things, sometimes not very nice things, and then you realize that it’s you that they are mimicking? Okay, so I know you are all very nice people and this never happens to you but it’s been happening to me A LOT lately. Here are 4 actual interactions, all of which took place today.

1. Good Manners. When Keely bumps into someone or someone bumps into her, or if she just feels like you’re in her space you don’t get a polite “excuse me.” Scenario - me passing Keely in the kitchen (really we weren’t even close)
Keely: Watch It!

2. List making. I have a habit of making lists whenever Keely asks why she can’t do something. “Well, number 1 it’s against the rules, number 2 it’s dangerous, number 3 I said no!...” you get the picture. Scenario - here is a conversation between Keely and Shawn this morning when Keely was having a little too much attitude.
Keely: Don’t talk to me!
Shawn: I wasn’t talking to you; I was talking to my imaginary friend Tiger Lily. She’s in a bad mood this morning and wanted to pull you off your chair. I told her that wouldn’t be nice.
Keely: One, she didn’t say that; two, there is no such thing as imaginary friends; and three, she didn’t say that!

3. Ultimatums. Scenario - I’m in the office responding to an email
Keely: All right, I’m going to the bathroom and when I come back you’d better be off the computer!

4. Idle threats. You know the “you do this or no more…” kind of threats? Scenario - Keely trying to get me to come downstairs and put on a show for her.
Keely: Come down here or I won’t play princesses with you for the rest of the day! (She has no idea that this is actually a very strong reason for me not to come downstairs)

Good, good parenting. Just let me know if any of you want some child-rearing advice.

14 comments:

Krazy Kobels said...

She is sooo funny! I know Mya will be the same way, it must be a girl thing! Good Luck, I will be calling in a year or so!!
Abby

Autumn said...

I am laughing so hard! She is a crack up! A little Lisa for sure! You are so in for it when she is a teenager!!! :)

Arah Debra said...

I love that girl! Her attitude is awesome. I'm just enjoying picturing her as a teenager. Watch out!

Elizabeth said...

At least she says nice words in a demanding way. Mine just says "piece of crap" all day long. It didn't dawn on me that I was the one using that phrase all the time...potty mouth.

Anonymous said...

Perfect! I am dying to hear her list of particulars. I love being the person allowed to laugh b/c mine is not yet vocal.

Updates From The Outback said...

Keely is great! So are her mom and dad. If she continues the mimicking, it will be mostly good. (But be careful.)

Shauri said...

I can fully appreciate and each and every one of those quotes since I can vouch for hearing each of them come out of your mouth at some point. What starts with an A and ends with "titude"? Not just wallace...

emandteem said...

You are gonna be in big trouble in about 7 years (or less). She's learned from the best. :)

Tanya said...

I can totally hear and picture you saying "watch it!"

Jana said...

I can totally hear all of those things. From both of you. That girl is hilarious!!! I am so glad we are going to live by you again so I can witness it live! :) I am still smiling at how funny she is. I LOVED her conversation with Shawn. Both of them were killing me. Tiger Lily? LOL!!!

Aundrea said...

I was laughing so hard at those little scenarios! I've got a couple of little girls that have really good manners too! Like you said, good, good parenting:)

Delsa said...

So your Mom was telling me about this hilarious blog you wrote, but she wouldn't tell me about it until I got home - so right to the blogspot. Glad she didn't, how could anyone do that justice but you. This should be very interesting when you come here and the missionaries try to make friends with her. I can see it all now.
I use to tell all of Keely's stories to Elder Collet when he was in the office and he loved them, so I told him that it is your Mom's responsibility to keep him laughing now.

Jennifer said...

I am dying, she is sounding a lot like my Madison. I can't believe how funny she was with Shawn. I need to keep better track of the funny things my kids say, it may turn a rough day into one of laughter. Can't wait to see you at christmas!

Shawn said...

That is what they both say when I try to cuddle with them, touch them or sometimes just when I walk into the house.