Friday, December 7, 2007

Selfish or Sensible??

So this is a debate that Shawn and I have had several times and just something I was thinking about today as I was picking the red and purple monkeys out of Keely’s Curious George fruit snacks.

Some of the time when I’m giving Keely a treat, whether it be Skittles, Starburst or fruit snacks, I pick out the colors I like - red, purple, pink…pretty much anything as long as it’s not lime, lemon, orange or banana flavored - and give Keely the remainder, colors or flavors I really don’t care for. I know what you’re thinking, “Selfish!” but just hear me out.

Keely never complains about this and sometimes even says “Here mom, I know you like this color” when I don’t pick them out. I know a lot of parents want their kids to have the same likes and dislikes as they do, and in many ways I agree, it is nice when you feel like your kid is picking up your traits; but when it comes to food don’t you think that having different tastes can actually be very complimentary?

“Here you have this part.”

“Oh thank you, my favorite! Why don’t you try this?”

“Don’t mind if I do!”

See, it just works. In the end, I think that what I do is just creating a more symbiotic relationship which can really only bring us closer, which is really not only not selfish but very loving and sensible. See my point?? Now if only I could convert Shawn to my way of thinking…

12 comments:

Arah Debra said...

I've always thought of you as a very sensible person, NEVER selfish. Like when we were kids you use to to unselfishly where my new clothes 1st just to make sure they were comfortable. So sensible!

Steve-o said...

Sure, Lisarino. Sure.

Lauren said...

I totally agree with you. I love the pink, purple, and red stuff, but the lemon and lime are yucky. I wanted to let you know that I was at Target and I saw one of your Moose Munch bars. I got one and had to try it. Super yummy!

Autumn said...

Very sensible! Never really thought about it...I do have one complaint though...I think this is how Bryan must have grown up...now he takes all of his favorites out of my treats and leaves me with the rest...what happens when they're not sharing with mom!? :)

Tanya said...

LOVE Debbie's comment!! LOL. Keep trying Lisa, maybe you'll eventually talk yourself into it :)

Aundrea said...

I'm converted! I do the very same thing:) But my favorites are the lime and lemon flavors so it doesn't really bother my kids!

EFN Newsletter said...

Dear Selfish in Ann Arbor,
Something tells me if Keely had a problem with it, you would know about it. Maybe you should tell Shawn to be honest and tell you what fruit snacks he feels like you're stealing from him.

Jana said...

I really don't have a comment. Just reading everyone else's was perfect. :) Too funny. Actually I can't believe you even like fruit snacks. SICK! Whatever color it is!

Shawn said...

I will just stick with my last comment, "watch it."

Elizabeth said...

This is not selfish at all, and whoever thinks it is, doesn't spend all day long with kids. You have a right to take the ones you like, they don't know the difference. I am in complete agreeance (is that a word?) with you...way to go!

Shauri said...

I have nothing to say except that I really enjoyed both Kristin and Debbie's comments.
Can't wait to see you guys on Wed!

Laura Shumway said...

I think your totally just there, yet I only heard your side. me being one of the kids the red and purple were always taken from! now I like orange, and lime green I know I'm messed up! and when I was little my mom fed me the white meat so now I like the white meat and get all the good stuff!! that no one else wants but Zeb at Thanksgiving! it would be totally perfect! but... I would like to hear shawns side of it from shawn!!