Thursday, January 10, 2008

‘Cause You Gotta Have Friends

On our last trip out to Utah I was excited to find out that many of my old friends would be in Utah visiting their families too. I decided that since I had just been to Utah to visit my family 2 months ago, I was going to use this trip to try to catch up with some friends. While I still spent most my time with family, it was wonderful to be able to sneak out and hook up with some of my favorite people:

First group of Ann Arbor friends (Emily, Tanya, Jenn, me, Gwen, and Carly)
These girls were some of my first friends in Ann Arbor. I remember my first week in Michigan I knew I was going to love it and that was largely because I had already met these girls who right away included me in all their plans – including those long gone but much missed “Friday lunches.” We’ve all moved on and everyone lives in different states but thanks to Tanya (I think I can pretty well speak for the group in calling her our “uniter” because she always makes sure everyone stays connected) we’ve all kept in pretty good contact!

Petersons (Front to back:Michelle, Jenny, Mark, Shawn and me)
We went to breakfast with the Pertersons and my wonderful friend Michelle who I still get to have with me in Ann Arbor. The Petersons are another couple that have moved on from Ann Arbor and are now in California. Not only did Abbi and Keely get along famously, but I always had a blast with Jenny! One of my favorite memories was stopping at a scary gas station in Toledo, OH on the way home from the zoo. Everything was going wrong, I couldn’t get the gas cap off my car, I put my credit card in the wrong gas pump, and we really were in a bad area. This weird looking guy came out of the gas station to see if he could help me, which was so nice, but then I turn around to see Jenny “the bodyguard” Peterson standing behind me in this totally protective fighter stance. I mean, what was she going to do?? While I was thankful to her for having my back, I’ve never laughed so hard!

College Roommates (Rachel, me, Steph, and Arah)
Oh the stories I could tell, but I won’t! Really, these girls are crazy fun and every time I see them I remember why they were so easy to live with and why we clicked so well. We were constantly on the move but I think my best memories were our Mafia parties (not the real mafia, the card game) and just hanging out at the house with friends. I have to say that I'm thankful everyday that I got to have my sister Arah as one of my roomies - that's when we really became close and her friendship is one of the most cherished in my life. We were sad not to have Chelsie at lunch but she was busy getting ready to deliver a baby. : )


High School Friends (In 2nd picture: Kerrieleigh, me, Autumn, Jenny)

Okay, my friend Autumn found this prom picture and I don’t want to hear any cracks about my big hair, white nylons, or my silver astronaut dress! : ) I have to say that I had the best group of high school friends ever! As you know we are from a VERY small town which meant we had to be a little creative with our fun. Although we were very good girls, we did seem to get in a lot of trouble because of that “creativity” factor. One of my most vivid memories was the time we decided to practice vigilante justice on one of the “mean boys” from high school that we felt had just gotten away with too much. We buttered and leafed his precious truck and then prayed we wouldn’t get caught. I remember he caught up with us on Main Street about an hour later looking for the culprits and we just sat there shaking our heads with shock and concern saying, “Who would do that to you? That’s so messed up!” Sounds mean I know, but if you knew him it wasn't!

13 comments:

Aundrea said...

That's so cool that you got to see so many of your old friends! I remember Stephanie from our good ol' Golden Corral day:)

I want to know who the "mean" boy was...I have a couple of guesses but I'm not sure!

KerrieLeigh said...

I didn't realize you were able to see all of your other friends too. That is really cool. Does anyone know where this "mean" boy is? Prison maybe? Just want to make sure he won't come after us after his name is mentioned. Just kidding. Sort of.

Autumn said...

Laughing at KerrieLeigh's comment. We'll have to tell Aundrea in a phone call I think! Looks like you had a great time catching up with old friends on your vacation. I loved seeing you again! I'm so glad we get to stay connected through blogging! Funny how I feel like we can go forever without seeing each other, but have it feel like just yesterday when we finally get together. Love you!

Unknown said...

There are so many stories we could tell and people would be shocked. I was thinking the other night after we got together remember the bros packed that some of the boys had. Oh those were the days. It was so fun to see all of you guys, you all were so cute and fun.

Jana said...

First, if that prom picture doesn't age you than I don't know what would. Second, I totally thought you were the one on the end. With the big white puffy sleeves. Help!!! I am TOTALLY LOL!!!

Arah Debra said...

I think I remember the story about that "mean boy". And I also think I remember who it was. I'll have to call you tomorrow to make sure.

You did luck out with your high school friends. They were and still are amazing girls!

I'm so happy too that we were able to be roomies. those are still some of my best memories. Love you lots!

emandteem said...

All I have to say is nice dress! I know you said you didn't want any comments about that, but how could I resist?

EFN Newsletter said...

Oh girl, you are workin' it in that photo. I couldn't figure out which one was you until I read your commentary.

KerrieLeigh said...

Oh Lisa, don't feel bad. You were sexy then, and you still are!!

Shauri said...

I would NEVER have known that was you. You don't look even remotely like yourself. At least you still had good fashion sense though. Seriously.

Elizabeth said...

Seriously, are you really that old?

Abbigail said...

I LOVE the white astronaut dress! It is amazing! And I don't think that picture dates you very much. people have to realize that fashion is always a few years behind in UT and possibly even further in a small town like that. So really, girls probably dressed like that a few years ago. And if you still have that dress, I would like to wear it now! AWESOME! I only went to prom once and my photo isn't nearly that cool. I am jealous!

Updates From The Outback said...

We're still making payments on that dress Lisa, so back off!

We will always remember your friends. You have always been blessed to attract great friends. By the way, where's Nicki? Does she know about your blog?
If that "mean boy" discovers your blog, Steve, Gavin and Mike should be able to handle it.