Saturday, January 5, 2008

Why God Doesn't Want Me at The Lion King

I still don’t have the answer to that and okay, maybe it wasn’t God but I tell you that some higher power in this universe did not want me there! First things first – right around “time to go” I looked where I thought the tickets were, but they weren’t there! I tore up the house looking for them and finally gave up. I thought I had received a copy on my email but I was wrong. I then decided to call the Detroit Opera House directly to see if we would still be able to get in if I just printed off my receipt; of course I could get a hold of no live person on the phone. We are totally late by this time so I just decide to chance it, grab Keely and start driving to Detroit. Needless to say I was SPEEDING because we were so late and I get pulled over going 86 in a 70. The police man was nice enough to only write me up for 5 over and we are back on our way when I see a sign, followed by more signs that says I-75 is closed – that is the only way I know to get to the theatre and if you’re familiar at all with Detroit you know that it is the last place in the world that you would ever want to get lost! So, I pull off some random (and scary) road in Detroit and punch the address in my navigation system and once again we are on the road!

Finally we get there, pay an insane amount to park and go in and get sent to Will Call while they’re calling “final seating” over the intercom. I’m praying the whole time in line that I get some really friendly, helpful customer service person that’s willing to make some exceptions but we all know that’s not in the stars. Instead I get a girl who’s worn out from dealing with issues all day and is just like, “Oh, the company you bought these from is not affiliated with us, can’t help you, and NOT my problem.” I was even trying to use the “look at my cute, desperate, sweet daughter who’s been looking forward to this for a long time” angle – nothing! This is when I realize that I will get nowhere without crying which is not hard because I’m already holding back. I walk up choking back tears and barely able to speak to one of the ushers, ask to talk to a manager and she goes and gets her manager who is just one of the usher managers and can’t really help with ticket sales. She does take pity on us however and says that she’ll sneak us in, but if we get caught we’re on our own. She gives me a few tips on how to navigate to our seats and what to say if someone asks us for our tickets and then sends us on our way. We find some seats (not ours) and sit in them and then I spend the whole first half of the show worrying that some big bouncer guy with a flash light is going to approach us at any second, make a scene in front of everyone and then kick us out. We end up making it to intermission and once we sit down for the second half I start to relax and enjoy the show, until…

I remember my dream from the other night where I get mugged in a parking lot that looks just like the one we parked in! All the sudden I start thinking, “Maybe we weren’t supposed to come here. Maybe God put so many roadblocks in our way so that we would just turn around and not get mugged! Oh crap, how am I going to protect Keely?” Okay, I realize that sounds insane but you just have to understand my day – it really didn’t seem so farfetched at the time! So after the show was over I try to leave with as much crowd as possible. I walk with the other people going to the parking lot and I stay with them as long as possible (I’m sure they thought I was totally invading their space). As soon as I realize we’re going to have to split from other people I pick up Keely, run to the car, get in and LOCK the door. It’s only once I look around and realize that we’re just fine and that there are no muggers standing around that I realize how crazy I really am, but I still will not relax until I’m safely out of Detroit.

Finally I’m on the freeway, take a deep breath and Keely pipes up from the back seat, “Mom, that was the best show ever and I love going on dates with you!” All the sudden my day’s not so bad!

Before the show (nice and relaxed)

On the way out of the show (sweaty and gross)

24 comments:

Autumn said...

This is a complete horror story! You poor thing! Definitley should have gone with the Limo service like I suggested...that would have solved at least a couple of your problems! Hate to say I told you so but..... :) So glad you made it and had fun!

Amy said...

I hate, hate, hate tearing through my house looking for something I can't find. That's the worst feeling ever. I'm so glad you took a chance and just went for it--with Keely by your side, who's going to tell you no?

Lauren said...

Oh Lisa. What an adventure! I feel so bad that you had all of those problems. How awful! I'm so glad that you made it there safely, that you were able to "sneak in" and see the show, and most of all SO GLAD that you didn't get mugged! That's a terrible dream. Glad that you got to spend time with your little sweetie. :)

Elizabeth said...

That scares me to death! I can't believe that you actually made it to the play and they let you in, look at you...nice persistence. Glad you guys are back! PS...love the classic skates from the 70s with orange wheels. Cute!

Carly said...

Oh Lisa, I love your stories! I would totally have been the same way about being paranoid because of a dream. Sometimes you really don't know if they are just dreams or promptings. Glad you guys were safe and had a great time. I have never seen the Lion King on stage, but have heard it is wonderful.

Updates From The Outback said...

I just caught up on your last month of blogs. They are great. You remind me so much of your wonderful dad. You are so lucky to have his talents as a writer, instead of your mothers.

P.S. If anything in this comment is misssspelled, then it was your mother writing. If everything is correct, then it was your dad.

P.P.S. from Mom: Your stories are great and you are indeed a marvelous writer. I'm so happy to hear about your father's superior writing talents. I'm anxious to see him start writing our blogs. (Did you notice that your dad left out an apostrophy? Does that count as a misspelling? He also wrote the P.S.)

Updates From The Outback said...

One more thought from Mom: I don't like you and Keely going into Detroit alone like that. I'm glad you were extra cautious in the parking lot and from now on, Mom says Shawn goes too.

EFN Newsletter said...

I wish I could have seen Keely at the show. When we went in NY we were surrounded by kids who would spontaneously clap out of sheer happiness throughout the show. I loved it!

Unknown said...

I am glad you are safe. Sounds like Keely didn't even Know how stressed you were, looks like she had a great time I guessed thats all that matters.

Delsa said...

Glad you told me about this when I called. Nothing I like better than a good laugh to start the day. Not that I didn't sympathize with you, but you know how our terrible foibles, or embarrassing moments always provide the most entertainment afterwards. Off to the outback.

Shauri said...

That sounds awesome. And such great blog material. Imagine if it went off without a hitch--you wouldn't have even written about it probably.
As for the dream and the big parking lot scare---let's just say after a few nights with you in the basement when Shawn's gone I'm not surprised.
I like KQ's comment too - you would LOVE that.

Anonymous said...

OK, I started laughing when I read the title knowing it would be good! Way to work it with the manager!

Aundrea said...

I also love reading your stories, you are a great writer! I'm glad I'm not the only morbid one out there...whenever anything goes slightly wrong, I'm wondering what I did wrong and how my kids are going to have to pay for my stupidity:)

Arah Debra said...

I like this story way better reading it than when you told me about it on the phone. I Think it just stressed me out to much on the phone. Reading it I already knew the ending so I could enjoy it. Very funny!

Tanya said...

Well, he must have wanted to there or the usher manager wouldn't have let you in. Glad it all worked out fine! Don't get mugged! Let's just say after living there I would never go to the DOH by myself with a daughter. I had a hard enough time in the day, with Brian, going there. Glad you have some memories to remember.

emily said...

Clearly this story was not funny for you while it was happening, but I had a GOOD laugh while reading it! I seriously felt like it was a page out of my own life. Glad you got to see the show and glad you made it back safely.

Rachael said...

Lisa,
This is a random question but I had a friend recently move here witha baby about the same age as Ben. I was wondering if you could recommend a pediatrician? I found your blog through Whitney.
Rachael Brinton
rachaelbrinton@yahoo.com

Jenny said...

Wow, sounds like you needed to me there to be your bodyguard.

KerrieLeigh said...

If our kids only knew what we go through for them......

KerrieLeigh said...

Lisa,
I have been working on the blog thing and well, I suck at it. You need to take a look and let me know what I need to do.

Jana said...

What a nightmare. I am glad you made it home safe and sound. Who would have let us inside? :) Don't you wish you could be the child again and not have a worry in the world. Minus not getting to watch a show for an extra 10 minutes? That would be nice.

The Cherry Family said...

That's a pretty good story. And it looks like everyone likes it because you have a million comments. I'm glad you didn't die!

Abbigail said...

WOW! INTENSE!

Jill said...

That was awesome! I can't believe all of that happened in one night!