Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Bad, Bad Thing

Shawn travels a lot and when he's gone Keely's and my meals (Ben's still eating baby food) consist of pretty much sandwiches, quesadillas, grilled cheese, and/or soup; don't worry, I always throw in a fresh fruit or veggie just for good measure. Well, this time I decided to switch it up. When we were at the grocery store yesterday I said, "Keely, do you want to try something fun?" She was game. I took her to the frozen food isle and said, "You get to pick your dinner tonight, any dinner you want." She was soooo excited and ended up with a Kids Cuisine corn dog meal (don't judge me). Well, I decided that if Keely was going to have a TV Dinner then so would I. I ended up with a Hungry Man (again, don't judge me) rotisserie chicken meal and we were on our way until a chicken pot pie caught my eye and I thought, "perfect for dinner tomorrow."

Well, last night dinner went great for one person, and it wasn't me. There were actually fries in Keely's meal. Microwavable fries. Sick! Back to the point, Keely was delighted with her meal and was like, "Mom, let's do this every night!" I on the other hand couldn't even begin to make myself choke down the catastrophe that came smelling out of the microwave. How do people eat these things? And why, oh why, did I think I could?

Fast forward to tonight. I actually have very fond memories of pot pies and ate them regularly as a child. While I knew I might not be able to choke down a TV Dinner I thought I could handle a pot pie...not so! I looked, smelled and did not even bother. I ended up with chips and salsa for dinner. Keely, on the other hand seemed to be really taken with the little meat and veggie pie. How are kids' and adults' taste buds completely different? That's an actual question; if you know tell me! Oh well, back to the basics.

23 comments:

Aundrea said...

I'm laughing soooo hard right now because Kelly is out of town and I was asking the kids what they wanted for dinner and they yelled, "Kid Quisine!" (sp?) I too think they are disgusting but they seem to think they are quite the treat:)

Autumn said...

Okay..craziest thing! Jace and I were at the grocery store yesterday and he asked if we could buy some frozen drumsticks (they kind of look like KFC) I thought "great idea" (tuesdays are bad days for me) I totally remember loving these as a kid. My kids thought they were the greatest thing ever...Bryan and I couldn't even gag them down! Seriously I would love to hear someone answer your taste bud question...it has got to be so! P.S. haven't had a pot pie since I was a kid...used to love them...think I'll avoid them as an adult! Thanks for the heads up!

Rochelle said...

My kids have adult taste buds. I sometimes wish they had simple taste buds. I can rarely get McDonalds when we are in a hurry and need convenience, if the toy is good they might choke the food down but the rest of the time they won't eat. Very few frozen meals are ever appreciated at our house. My kids don't even like school lunches. I have little success with mac and cheese, however top ramen is okay. So to sum it up and answer your question, I don't know... It's baffling.

Unknown said...

Oh I hate those frozen meal things I haven't tryed one in along time. My kids hate them also, they think I need to cook a gourmet meal evey night. If I say you have to eat what ever you can find they freak out. So what ever.

Arah Debra said...

Hungry Man?? What were you thinking? Someone went to the grocery store hungry. I don't think Gavin would even touch a frozen dinner. He's way too picky.

Updates From The Outback said...

Give me a frozen dinner or a pot pie any day. Please, please, please take me to McDonalds. My better half continually forces me to eat fruits and vegetables. It is unamerican! Ugh! Either make me a kid again, or take me back to my second childhood. You are what you eat, and I shall live forever, because of the preservatives within my system. Guess which one of us made this comment. The winner gets a chicken pot pie!

Updates From The Outback said...

The only way I can truly address my response to the blog and the comment above is by a blog of my own, so take the link.

Shawn said...

Where is the video of my son walking. I feel neglected that Pot Pies got the attention over his first steps. Love you and I'm glad I'll be seeing you tomorrow.

Arah Debra said...

I agree with Shawn. I want to see that squishy boy walking. I'll be checking later today.

Julie said...

My babysitter feeds my kids macaroni and cheese with hotdogs and puts ketchup on top of the whole thing! Makes my stomach shudder in protest, but my kids ask for it frequently. I can't answer your question about the differing taste buds, but as long as their tummys have food in them and I can eat chips and salsa, we're all happy!

Jana said...

Ben is walking?!!! Post a video now! And about those dinners. You make me laugh. How about if Jason and I come to visit again and you can cook us all sorts of delicious food. :)

KerrieLeigh said...

My kids love those nasty things too. I get sick just looking at them.

Anonymous said...

Ok, try the kid cuisine chicken nuggets.. not bad! We always get them when we travel to utah, and I helped anna eat her last one, but i was probably hungry.

Christin said...

We had a Stauffer's Frozen Lasagna last night because I teach on Mondays and Tuesdays and don't get done until 5:30. It wasn't half bad. It had something like 50,000 fat calories though which isn't that great if you're trying to lose weight after twins. Oh well, what you'll do for convenience right?

Christin

Updates From The Outback said...

It's tomorrow already here in Australia...so where is the video of our grandson walking?

The Rackleys said...

Lisa,

Eric and I loved this post. Eric used to LOVE those pot pies and really, if I didn't have Eric around every night, the kids would be eating cereal.

Autumn said...

The cute little squishy boy can walk?????

Sadlers said...

Hey Lisa,
Okay so i must confess I eat a lot of frozen meals at work. They are quick to pack and are actually really good (even Chris agrees). The trick is you have to buy the right kind. The best ones are the Lean Cuisines. They only have about 200 calories in them and they are really tasty.

Anonymous said...

Cereal is a main meal at our home...that is why we go through nearly 8 gallons of milk a week if Andy is home!

LL said...

I'm tellin' you Lisa, a large pizza and a few packages of Birdseye microwave steamed veggies can get us through an entire week of single mothering. :-) We also eat a lot of sandwiches, Healthy Choice vegetable soup, cereal, and spaghetti. You're brave for trying the frozen meals, I look and wonder pretty much every week, but can't get past the gag reflex right there in the grocery store.

kesli said...

So much for trying to make life at dinner time a little easier. You always have to try once, right?

kesli said...

So much for trying to make life at dinner time a little easier. You always have to try once, right?

kesli said...

So much for trying to make life at dinner time a little easier. You always have to try once, right?