Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Rose

When Shawn got home from work on Valentine's day he showed up with a red rose for me and a pink rose for Keely. While I was of course thankful there is no way I could have outdone Keely in the enthusiasm department. She was completely won over! She put her rose in the vase of her choice and ran up to her room to find the perfect spot. When she finally made up her mind she had everyone (including Ben) come up to her room in order to admire her rose and she kept saying things like "Mom, we're like roses to dad!" and "Dad thinks we're beautiful flowers!" While I realize her sentiments are a bit cheesy I couldn't help but be delighted at her obvious enthusiasm and I love that she showed Shawn so much appreciation and made him feel so special.

Today Keely brought me up to her room and with tears in her eyes told me that her rose is dying. I explained that this always happens to flowers and that there will be more and she said, "but this is the only flower that I want; my dad gave it to me!" Needless to say I'm either going to press it or dry it to have it saved for her but I love that it means so much to her; I love to see how much she loves her dad.

15 comments:

Autumn said...

That is the sweetest story ever! You definitely have to do something special with that flower! What a sweet thing for Shawn to do! Love the pic too!

Arah Debra said...

How sweet! I love her sentiments. What a creative girl. Did you cut her hair?

Rochelle said...

I love how sweet and innocent children are...
Just think, every year he should do this and 20 years from now she'll still be getting a pink rose from her dad on Valentines Day!

Updates From The Outback said...

You take good care of that rose now!
That is quite amazing thinking for a girl her age. We had such a good conversation the other day. Her personality just keeps getting cuter and cuter.

Unknown said...

How sweet, I bet it made Shawns day just for how cute her reacton was.

Aundrea said...

You can't tell me you're still a scrooge after that story!??

EFN Newsletter said...

That makes me cry.

KerrieLeigh said...

That is the sweetest thing. Hopefully she will always remember that.

Sandy said...

I loved that...what a sweetheart! If she keeps this up she's going to have Shawn (and you) exactly where she wants you when she's older.

Delsa said...

That was beautiful. Makes me so anxious to see you. I love that picture.

Jana said...

That is so sweet. What did you do with your rose? Aren't you going to dry it or press it? Ungrateful! :)

Byron said...

So I hate to sound like I didn't like your post, because it really was sweet, but when I saw the title "the Rose" I was hoping for some Napoleon Dynamite reference.....I bet Shawn can do some pretty sweet signing...

Anonymous said...

So precious! I'm glad Keeley is older than Anna so Brian can get some good ideas. Keep them coming!

Mandy said...

A tear came to my eye! That is absolutely precious!
I can't wait to hang out with y'all!

Julie said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing the story.