Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Why Start Small?



You know when you were a kid and you saw that pack of gum or that bag of candy in the grocery store that you really, really wanted but your mom said “no,” so then you decided to pocket it anyway, but got caught later and had to go back to the store, pay, apologize and then work off the money that you ended up owing your parents for the purchase? Okay, so maybe not all of you have indulged in a life of crime, but my rundown seems to be a pretty typical story. Well, not in my family, we like to be creative and we never start small.

My first (of 3) steals was a horned toad from preschool. I remember one of the kids, Millie Black, brought this little toad to preschool for show-and-tell. Well, she was getting so much attention that I couldn’t stand it. I nabbed the frog, went and told the teacher I was sick, and then walked the few blocks home (you have to remember that I come from a very small town so letting a 4 year old walk home was not a big deal). As soon as I got home I went out to the backyard and released the toad and then bided my time outside (so my mom would not know I was home). Unfortunately, I soon heard a “Lisa!” from my mom. My heart started beating, my hands started sweating, and I knew I was busted!

Well, this week Keely decided to try a life of crime, and, like her mother, didn’t want to do something simple like a candy bar or a pack of gum, nope, not her style. Instead, while she was shopping with her Aunt Shauri (Shauri has a more detailed version of the lift on her blog), she slipped a fuzzy purple pair of UGG flip flop slippers into the Gymboree bag she was holding. Yes, I said UGG; even though they were marked down 4 times they were still priced at $40 - the girl may not have good taste, but she certainly has expensive taste! Well, obviously Keely wasn’t too concerned about it because she fell to sleep on the way home and when Shauri opened the bag to show me the little outfit she had bought for Keely she was shocked to find the pair of slippers! When Keely woke up I asked her what she had got at the store. She lit up and said, “Oh, I got a great surprise for you momma!” Which honestly took me back and made me feel a little bad that I was going to have to give her a lecture I was about to give. Well, on Monday Shawn took Keely back to Von Maur to return the slippers and have her apologize to the sales person. When I asked him how it went he said, “I think it took them a while to understand what was going on.” I don’t think the sales person could really fathom that a 4 year old would steal those purple beauties! Regardless, we know it is hard for Keely to apologize, and especially to someone she doesn’t know so we’re praying that this will be enough of a deterrent!

Oh, and for those of you wondering, my other 2 steals were all the popsicles from my neighbor’s (the Patterson’s) freezer while they were gone on a family trip when I was 5 (my cousin Eddie was my partner in crime on this one), and, yep I decided to conform on the 3rd – a pack of gum.

19 comments:

Carly said...

How funny, like I said before I LOVE your Keely stories. They make my day. My experience with hard crime included stealing a My Little Pony from the coat closet at the church. Even though it had probably been there for months with the rest of the "lost and found". I was grateful for my baptism after that ha, ha.

Elizabeth said...

Lisa, I have a hard time imagining you playing sick! (yeah right). Keep the great stories coming!

Aundrea said...

I had no idea I roomed with a thief!

Even though I've never met Keely, I love hearing about her adventures!

Whenever something like that has happened with my kids, the people working at the store are seriously surprised that I would make my kids come back! Or when I get to my car with groceries and find out they missed something in the bottome of the cart...they are just stunned. I guess they expect that most people just wouldn't bother?!

Anonymous said...

OK, seriously? The poor frogless girl should have known better to turn her back on you! that is hilarious!

Autumn said...

Keely cracks me up! What a thoughtful little girl she is! She just knew you would love those purple fuzzy flip flops! So cute (in a wrong sort of way) I still have a purple shiny rock from a store at Yellowstone Park sitting on my dresser that awaits someone to come forward and confess to taking!

emandteem said...

Wow...I think you need to set a better example for your daughter. I mean, who can blame her, when her mom is a felon. :)

Arah Debra said...

I remember after you and Eddie ate all the Patterson's popsicles we had a combined family home evening on honesty. Hilarious!!

Updates From The Outback said...

I've got you all beat--My thefts were three 1000-year old pottery bowls that I stole from a museum and tried to sell back to their rightful owner. Bad idea!

Updates From The Outback said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian, Laura, Felix & Ezra said...

Hey Lisa! I love your blog. Would you mind if I added a link to your blog on mine?

Unknown said...

Well at least you had Shawn deal with it I would of had Ty deal with it also. Keep the great storys coming

Delsa said...

So glad you told the ending of Shauri's blog. How is it that you got Shawn to do the dirty work? You should have made Shauri - or sure she left town - Right!

Becky said...

Great story! Well written, too and always entertaining.
I was just noticing that the link to my cribsakes website isn't working from your site. Just use www.cribsakes.com (take off the /ie/ thingy) and then it should work.
I love the new blog and all your photos are so adorable!

Rochelle said...

Lisa I'm addind ya to my list. I'm sick of having to go to Autumn or Aundrea to read about your fun times and hilarious stories!

Ryan said...

stealing shoes, stealing hearts, Keely steals everything except a quick glance to her conscience. Jerry Springer doesn't help people. Oprah "does."

Arah Debra said...

I tagged you. Go to my blog to see what to do.

Jana said...

That is hilarious. Mostly that you stole a frog because someone else was getting attention. LOL!!! Good stories.

The Cherry Family said...

That's pretty funny. I have to say, I was a little thief too. Nice pack of gum. The store owner threatened to call the police when I took it back. I was four. Nice guy, huh?

Julee said...

only the best for Keely. For me it was toothpast bubble gum.