Sunday, February 10, 2008

Acupuncture

Even though I'm super afraid of needles I've always been a little curious about acupuncture. Well, I decided to do something a little crazy and I went to get acupuncture on Friday and it was better than any massage I've ever had! I have to say that I was seriously nervous and it is a little freaky to see little needles sticking out of your body but it turns out that when the acupuncturist is putting the needles in you can barely feel it. The good part came when he left the room and told me to relax. I got all tingly for a bit and then completely relaxed. I even fell asleep for about 10 minutes and did not want to wake up and get ready to go! There are supposedly a bunch of health benefits that come along with acupuncture which I can't claim to really know about yet, all I know is that I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed, or the last time that feeling actually lasted for a while and that is worth going back for!

Little Disclaimer: Wow, I didn't expect people to be so interested! This is what it says on the "understanding treatment" sheet I was given before I left. "Some patients find they feel very relaxed. Some people feel tired and want to go right to sleep while others report feeling more energized. Still others report feeling different sensations in their bodies, while some report no changes at all." I'm sure there are a few factors - what your treatment is for, who is treating you, etc. I don't know the average cost of treatment, but the guy I went to is $75/per visit.

18 comments:

EFN Newsletter said...

How long afterward did it last? This might be just what I need.

Autumn said...

Seriously? I can't believe you did this! You're so brave. I want to try it now! I would also like to know how long it lasted...

Lisa said...

It's Sunday and I'm still relaxed (not as relaxed as I was on Friday, but more relaxed than I typically am), not in a tired way - just a not get too stressed way. Hard to explain.

Arah Debra said...

I'm glad it was so relaxing for you. That's definitely something I need right now. And whatever that's the easiest tag ever.

Carly said...

Wowzers! I have always been skeptical of that, but it is nice to hear from someone that it works.

Aundrea said...

I've heard great things about it, but have never tried it. Maybe soon!

Unknown said...

I have wanted to try this but never have. Glad it worked for you.

Rochelle said...

Was it really better than a massage? Did it relax you mentally or like, down to the bone? And what is the cost of something like this, is it comparable to a massage? I am really interested, I wonder if it's a form of meditation? HMM.

Delsa said...

YOu must have a better acupuncturist than I did. However, when I did it, it was to get rid of pain and it didn't work. I even went back about 4 or 5 time. Maybe it's the nap that did it for you. Does that sound skeptical?

The Rackleys said...

Lisa,

My sister in law is finishing up her PhD in Accupunture. Way to go for trying it! When my sister has given me treatments, I thought it always made a big difference. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Elizabeth said...

You are brave, I don't know if I could do it!! Enjoy the relaxing...

Anonymous said...

I could totally go for that right now!

Canton Candids said...

My brother had this done in Spain to get rid of a sinus problem. His experience matches Delsa's.

Me, I'd prefer a nap.

Adam

Jana said...

You are much braver than me. There is NO way I would pay someone to put needles in me. Ummm, I am dreading getting pregnant again for that very reason. :) I would however like the massage. :)

emandteem said...

I'd rather get a massage, but good for you. I just don't like the idea of little needles all over.

Byron said...

Maybe they could fix my back!!! Hooray! I want to see a picture of needles in YOUR actual back, come on Lisa!

Updates From The Outback said...

Anytime Sister Shumway wants to try it, I'll be 100% supportive. But...

--Believe I plan on it. It sounds great.--Mom

Julee said...

I have always been curious about that. I will have to give it yry sometime