Saturday, March 29, 2008

Meeting the Family

My parents took us around and made sure that we met a lot of the investigators and new church members that they’ve been working with. I felt like we already knew so many of them through reading my parents’ letters and talking to them on the phone but meeting them in person was so much better! Here are just a couple of people we got to meet:
This little boy James and Keely hit it right off and had so much fun running around the church while we all enjoyed a pizza party. We also had so much fun getting to know Yvonne (James’ mom) and really hope to get to see her again while we’re here. She’s a really incredible person.
Mark and Karen have been a very special couple in my mom’s and dad’s lives. Karen is a member of the church and Mark was just baptized about a week before we got here. His story is so incredible, the changes he’s made and the things he has given up to become a member is truly touching, I’m sorry I really couldn’t do it justice on the blog but it was such a pleasure to meet them.
Last but not least I have to mention the 4 missionaries that my parents work with (from left to right Elder Brons, Elder McKnight, Elder Vander Does and Elder Collett). They have really come to be like family to my parents and I can see why. They are such great guys and not only were they helpful and spiritual, but they were so much fun. Keely exclaimed several times that these 4 are her favorite Elders she’s ever met and I have to say that saying goodbye to them at the airport when we were heading back to Adelaide was the toughest thing we’ve done since we got here. I really felt like crying knowing that this would probably be the last time we’d see them. Elder Collett also really gained favor with Keely by buying her a little stuffed kangaroo as a souvenir. We will always be grateful that, even though it was a short amount of time, we got to know these 4 great missionaries.

14 comments:

Amy said...

It's great to hear what you're up to! Just like your experience, I was amazed at how attached we got to some of the missionaries in such a short amount of time. It was one of our favorite things about our trip.

EFN Newsletter said...

Lisa, this is so great. It really makes me want to suck it up and get on the plane. I'm thrilled you are there. Keep up the posts!

Arah Debra said...

I'm so glad you are keeping such a great record of your trip. This will be so fun for you guys to look back on. The post about seeing mom and dad at the airport made me cry. It sounds like you guys are having some amazing experiences. Gavin would have loved the petting zoo and the pet kangaroo.

Autumn said...

I love being able to see what you are up to in the Outback! It looks so amazing! Keely is such a brave little thing holding all of those animals and lizards...she has a lot of her mom in her! I love the pic of you and the Koala!! Keely and Ben are adorable in their Easter clothes..and I love getting to see your mom and dad with the kids! I'm sure all of the grandparents are so glad you are there! Keep up the fun and the posts! xoxo

Mandy said...

I'm so glad you all are having such a great time! It's so fun to read all that you are doing and seeing! Keep it up- love all the pics too!

Unknown said...

How fun, I am so glad that you are having such a great time. How cool for your kids, what a great experience for them. Your parents look like they are doing great.

Julie said...

Looks like such a fantastic vacation -- family, up close and personal with animals we don't see around here so often, shows, etc. It appears that you have mastered ambitious vacations with two active kids! Way to go!

Jana said...

I leave for a week and you post a ton!!! That was fun reading about your trip. And the pics are great. You look fabulous. And I LOVE the kids Easter clothes. So cute.

Lauren said...

What a fun experience! It has been fun to read about your adventures. I'm sure it was really hard to say goodbye. :)

Elizabeth said...

Your trip is amazing, I love hearing all the stories and seeing pics! It has made me a little teary eyed hearing about all the missionary work your parents are doing. Keep posting the stories and pics!

Elizabeth said...

I don't know why my name is now Acester, that looks kind of weird...

Byron said...

I;ve loved the updates, what wonderful memories you are making. To hang out with a kangaroo, dang you guys are lucky!!! Oh, and grandparents, that's lucky too.

emandteem said...

Looks like you guys are enjoying yourselves. How fun that you get some time with both parents.

Updates From The Outback said...

What a week it was! If I was going to order up the perfect week that's just the week I would order.