Saturday, March 22, 2008

To Grandma and Grandpa’s House We Go!

Were we happy to get here! Seeing Grandma and Grandpa for the first time in a year and a half was so surreal and we have been having such a great time. The first day we just kind of relaxed so that we could get the kids (especially Ben) back on schedule. Keely was pretty entertained by the missionary office staff. All you have to do is walk right out grandma and grandpa’s front door to the office and Keely went to introduce herself early in the day. She was more than happy to help grandma make cookies and take them over to the Elders and to the missionary couple in the office and asked if she could go over to the office about 20 times that day. One time when we were heading to the park she said, “I should really go tell the people in the office where we are going, but I’ll let them know that they probably can’t come because they have too much work to do!” Sister Kirk, who also works in the office very quickly became Ben’s favorite by feeding him chocolate and carrying him around for about an hour pointing at birds and plants. We could use that kind of babysitting all the time!

The kids have both warmed up to grandma and grandpa quickly and in fact Keely paid grandma the ultimate compliment. If you know Keely well you know she’s got a very exclusive circle and about half the time I’m the only one in it. Well, after the first day when I went to put Keely to bed she said, “Mom, tell grandma that if she wants to put me to bed one night that would be all right.” If you don’t know Keely this may not seem like a big deal, if you do know Keely you know how special this makes grandma feel; I was actually shocked that she’d make such an allowance – that’s true love!

Any child who’s met Grandpa Bob has heard his famous “giant jelly bean” stories. Well, this was another highlight of Keely’s day. She and Shawn went outside and drew giant jelly beans all over grandma and grandpa’s driveway and then came in and listened to the giant jelly bean creator himself fill her with all kinds of new GJB tales. It’s so good to be here!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been anxious to see your posts. Glad to hear all is well and you are enjoying sun and fun with family. You did get someone to shovel your driveway, right? We go 8 inches of snow yesterday. (Thought that might help you enjoy the weather even more...)

Shauri said...

FINALLY! I check every day. Sounds like everything has been smooth so far. I'm so jealous you are there...and I am here. Keep on posting sister.

Elizabeth said...

Yeah!! You guys made it, and sounds like it was a great flight, I'm not surprised, your kids are great. Looks like so much fun in Australia, keep taking pictures! Can't wait to hear all about the adventures. (Enjoy that warm weather, we just got another 10 inches...yuck)

Shauri said...

By the way, don't you think Keely and Grandma look alike in that picture?

EFN Newsletter said...

I'm crying. But keep posting.

Autumn said...

I'm so jealous! It looks like you guys are having a great time already! I love it that we are getting to see your trip while you are still there! Blogging is so cool! I'm so glad your kids did so good on the flight...isn't the swollen ankle thing the worst! That happened to me once too and I freaked out! Keep the updates from the outback coming! xoxo

emandteem said...

Oh, besides the long plane ride, I envy you guys. I miss Bob and Delsa so much. Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep posting.

Arah Debra said...

Look at that smile on Ben's face. I Love it! I'm so happy they are warming up so well. I bet it was a special moment when Grandma and Grandpa Quinn got to meet Ben for the first time. And could Keely be more beautiful? Love you guys!

KerrieLeigh said...

It looks amazing. Glad you are having a great trip. The internet truely is a wonderful thing!

Updates From The Outback said...

Thanks for all the updates! Sounds like things couldn't be better. You're problably in the air now. We can't wait to see all of you.
We are so grateful you two were willing to make the sacrifices necessary to come. None of us will ever forget it. (Well, maybe Ben)

Hubers said...

Lisa,
It's been snowing in Ann Arbor and I see you're wearing capris in all these pictures!! Ah!!! We need some of that sun too!
Tell Bob and Delsa hi for us!

Janie said...

It looks like you are having a ball! Soak up all that sun cause there is none here. So jealous!

Unknown said...

It looks like your guys are having fun. I have been excited to see what you have been up too. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

Jana said...

I miss Bob and Delsa!!! Just seeing that pic made me smile. And I am seriously wondering how Keely gave her grandma that privilege. What will it take?!!!!!I've been nothing but nice to that girl!!!

Mandy said...

That story about Keely letting grandma put her to bed one night melted my heart. So sweet! Glad you are all having a great time! You're not missing anything but cold weather here!