Saturday, March 22, 2008

We Made It!

And I am happy to report that there is very little to report about the plane trips. The kids were absolute angels (I don’t like saying that out loud because I feel like I’m going to jinx our return)! On our longest flight, the one from LA to Sydney, the plane sat on the tarmac for 2 hours while they fixed some problem with the satellite. They made everyone de-board because the temperature was getting too high in the cabin but our kids had already fallen asleep and it was 2:00 AM Michigan time. When the stewardess approached Shawn about getting off he was like “we’re not getting off this plane.” She actually went and got permission for us to stay on which was very nice considering the fact that they made every other person on the whole plane return to the terminal. I tried really hard to not let the fact that this turned our 14 hour flight into a 16 hour flight bug me; in the end things could have really been far worse. Ben only had screaming fits a couple times but the great thing is that he had kind of lost his voice due to a cold/cough which he had recovered from right before the trip so his scream was little more than hollow air. Who knew that Ben losing his voice would be such a blessing?

The only other memorable moment related to the flight was when we finally got to Sydney. The first thing I was ready for was a shower! As soon as we got to our hotel I hopped in and that’s when I saw my ankles; actually I didn’t see my ankles at all which completely freaked me out! I guess I didn’t walk enough or drink enough water but my ankles were seriously swollen. I’m happy to report that my ankles returned after a good nights’ sleep…phew!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This picture is great! I love that Shawn has the diaper bag on his back. What a true dad!

Arah Debra said...

I so happy the flight was ok. I was seriously stressed about it. And also very glad you got your ankles back.

Updates From The Outback said...

I know how you feel about extended flights. When we were approaching Australia we were diverted becasue of rain and it added 3 1/2 hours to the trip-all on the plane.
We are so glad everything went well. Next time drink more water and walk around. See you today!!!!!

The Rackleys said...

I've got to get tips from you about traveling with kids. We don't travel much . . . actually dread it, but after hearing how well everyone did, maybe when we're done with school we'll give it a go. I just can't believe it went so well. I'm glad. Miss you guys!

LL said...

I'm glad things went well! JC always dreads traveling with the kids, but I don't think it is all that bad. You just need really really low expectations to be successful. :-)