Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Rundown on the Rest of Our Trip

Okay so we got back last Thursday and I am really behind (I’ll explain later) but I wanted to at least share a few of our highlights from the last part of our trip:

“Beach Fun”

We had lots of fun going to a couple different beaches. One of Keely’s highlights was getting her face painted when we went to the beach in Glenelg (she’s supposed to be a kangaroo)

Ben loved the beach so much that he wore himself right out
I have to say that it was surreal watching the grandmas and grandpas playing with the kids, I was so aware that our time was short and it made me kind of sad, Ben and Keely had such fun with their grandparents
“Keely’s Crush(es)”

The thing about Keely is she falls hard but she gets over it quickly. After leaving Alice Springs and doodling “I love Elder Collett” all the way home on the plane from Adelaide Keely quickly found someone to fill up that empty space in her heart, and this time Elder Bass was the lucky man. Luckily, he has a 5 year old brother and knew just how to handle her 4 ½ (she never lets us forget the ½) year old personality. It was really funny actually. One night we had the office Elders and the Assistants over for dinner and Keely latched right on to Elder Bass and also began to grow fond of his companion Elder Loertscher, whose name she had a tougher time remembering. So, that night in her prayers she said, “Heavenly Father, I’m so thankful that I was able to meet Elder Bass and also that Elder with a little hair, but not a lot, but some hair.” I was doing my best not to bust out laughing, but I have to say it was pretty funny.
“Our Friends”

The thing about taking a trip like this where you stay in the mission home is that it’s really hard not to get attached the missionaries, they were really a huge part of our enjoyment on the trip.

Elder and Sister Smith helped us with EVERYTHING and were really like an extra set of grandparents for our kids. Sister Smith was so patient with Keely always wanting to hang out in the office and even came up with “really important” ways for Keely to be able to help out. Let me tell you, Keely is quite a good secretary.
The Office Elders and Assistants were also wonderful with the kids and Elder Kroll even took the time to prepare a very sweet FHE lesson for us which Keely really loved. These guys really helped make our trip even more memorable and more fun. “Goodbye to Mom and Dad”

Watching mom and dad walk away at the airport was really hard. I think that after they left on their mission I always had a knowledge that we would be flying out to see them so I didn’t really have a hard time with it. This time it was a lot harder, I kind of had a sad, empty feeling but I loved that we had the time with them that we did have and I will always be grateful that they are out in Australia serving a mission, they really are incredible people and incredible missionaries and I’m so proud of them.

“And Another Goodbye”

And if one goodbye was not hard enough, 2 was almost impossible! Saying goodbye to Grandma and Grandpa Quinn was another tough one. Bob and Delsa more than went out of their way to make our trip happy and memorable. I thought I was going to keep from crying until Keely gave a hug to her Grandma at the terminal and Delsa started crying. It was so sweet to watch our kids build such a strong relationship with their grandparents and it made me so happy that we had the chance to see them making a difference in so many people’s lives.
Keely can’t stop talking about her time in Australia and mostly that’s because she fell so in love with her grandparents. I love this picture of her and her grandmas. This has really been an experience we’ll never forget!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Your Back. I am glad that you had a great time.

KerrieLeigh said...

I am so glad that you guys had such a wonderful time. Glad you made it back safely.

Arah Debra said...

I love it! Blogs are the best!! Being able to experience this trip through your blog has been amazing. That must have been so hard to say goodbye, but what an awesome experience.

Byron said...

I am so happy for your parents and Shawn's! It must have been absolute heaven for them to play with those little ones (and see you guys of course!) I'm so glad Byron's parents are going to be at least in the States now, and hopefully get to know the gkids much better. What great memories.

Autumn said...

I'm so glad you made it back safely! I missed you!...funny since I rarely see you anyway! I'm with Debbie...blogs are the BEST I loved being able to read about your trip while you were gone! That last picture of your beautiful Keeley and her beautiful Grandmas is priceless! You should have it blown up and framed! So happy that you had so much fun and you're home!!

Lauren said...

Once again, I'm so glad that you were able to go. What a neat experience! I'm sure it was heart-wrenching to say goodbye. I hate goodbyes!

Aundrea said...

What an awesome trip! Reading about your goodbyes made me well up with tears!! I'm so glad you were able to experience so many neat things down there. So, so lucky to have both sets of grandparents alive and well and serving the Lord in the same mission:)

Jenny said...

Hi Lisa!

I haven't commented since you left, but have been eagerly anticipating each new post. Sounds like you have had an incredible time! It's cool to have met both of your parents in NY during our collective "honeymoon" there, and now to see them both serving in the same place is awesome.

And congratulations on the sealing of Ben. We felt like we got to be somewhat involved in the process with Keely, and to imagine the joy as you had this experience with Ben is incredible.

We really do miss you guys. I need your phone # so we can call and scheme up a plan to visit or something sometime in the next year or so.

Love ya!

Jenny Richards (it seems like you have a couple of other Jenny friends (miss popular!), so I need to clarify who I am!

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you are home. We missed you all.
I have to say that it has been such a blessing for my kids have close relationships with their grandparents and great grandparents. They are wonderful role models. Julia has written many a paper about the influence her great grandmother had on her life.
You need to frame the picture of Keely with her grandma's. Beautiful!

Christin said...

I think it's funny that your dad even wears a white shirt to the beach.

Christin

Cute pics

Jill said...

Loved it! I couldn't help but get teary-eyed! I'm so glad that everyone had such a great time! There is nothing like having a great time with your family!

emandteem said...

I'm so happy and sad for you guys at the same time. How fun to spend quality time with them, and how sad you had to say goodbye.

Hubers said...

It's really amazing how much Keely looks like both of her grandmas in this last picture!!!
Glad you're back!

Becky said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you had such a great time . . . um, did you bring me any Violet Crumbles or meat pies?

LL said...

What a fun trip! I HATE the part where everyone says goodbye at the end of a trip or a visit - I can't imagine doing it twice.

Glad you made it back safely - wish we were there too!

Jana said...

I got teary just reading about having to say good bye. I remember when I went into the MTC and I didn't cry at all. I was SUPER excited to be there. And knew I would see my family in 9 weeks. The airport was a totally different story!!! I was bawling like a baby. I even told my mom I changed my mind and I wasn't going to go. She said, "Oh please. You want me to get your luggage off the plane and cancel everything?" I quickly responded, "Yes!!" (All while crying my heart out). :) So, I can relate to the different feeling when the good byes are a lot longer. But the trip looked like a wonderful time. I am jealous.

Updates From The Outback said...

What a beautiful record of marvelous trip! We cherished every minute. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I don't think I ever got the picture of Keely, Sister Quinn and me. Would you please email it?