Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Slimy Frog

Well things are still hectic here and we are still waiting to hear on our house, but in the meantime I will attempt to blog every now and then, so I’ll share a new one with you. I must say that I realize that most people blog about happy, shiny things but I tend to want to record all things because I often think (hope) our imperfections add a little personality to life.

Yesterday Keely got put in time-out because she wasn’t sharing with her cousin and she hit him. I was on my way down the stairs when she started screaming for me to come back. Here’s pretty much how our conversation went:

K – “Mom, come quick it’s an emergency!” (repeated about 4 times)
Me – (heading back upstairs) “It better be an emergency!”
K – (I have now entered the room) “This skirt won’t stick” (regarding a dress-up princess book she’s playing with)
Me – “That is not an emergency…and you are not supposed to be playing when you’re in time-out!” (now I’m heading back downstairs) “I’d better not hear you again or you’re just going straight to bed!”
K- (at the top of her lungs) “I’m not going to bed you slimy little frog!”

Ouch! Did she call me a slimy frog? Seriously, it’s creative and new and I have no idea where she got it from but it kind of stings. As you can tell I think we both need to work a little on our communication skills, or maybe we communicate a little too well?...whatever the case may be the scene ended up with a good stare down (from both sides) and an apology (from Keely). I'm only hoping that at least one of you can relate to that experience, otherwise I'm in trouble! Don’t worry though, all was happy and good by the end of the night and she even told me that I’m the best mom in the world when I tucked her in (see, happy and shiny).

17 comments:

KerrieLeigh said...

I can completely relate! I love your story. I think it might be a girl thing with coming up with the creative name calling. Avrie has done similar things, but I must say, "slimy little frog" is a good one. :)

KerrieLeigh said...

By the way....She is a beautiful little girl!

Sandy said...

Wow, I think you might have a little Mayah on your hands!! We are constantly having the "You need to respect your mother" conversation. Keely and Mayah would either be bffs or mortal enemies if we lived by eachother.

Carly said...

Your Keely stories always make my day! And I LOVE the photo of her, such a classic...

Janie said...

Oh Lisa, I can totally relate. My Abby and I have had so many similar conversations--errr one line remarks at each other!! Maybe it is just a mother-daughter thing. Maybe we are too much alike-who knows. Let me know if you figure it out!

Aundrea said...

I LOVE the picture! The expression on her face is priceless!
And, I can totally relate;(

Arah Debra said...

I'm sorry Lisa but I can't relate at all. Gavin is so perfect he's never said anything even close to so mean. Oh, unless "stinky poopoo face" counts;-)

Autumn said...

I am going to be laughing all day! I LOVE that picture of her! ...oh and I NEVER blog about the 'unperfect' things my children do! :) I think slimy little frog just about sums it up! I'll have to let Jace in on that one!

Hubers said...

Abram told me he hated me last week. THE KID'S 3!!!! Already, really?? So sad.

Rochelle said...

Her face is priceless! She'll love this story when she's a mom! In the mean time we will all enjoy from it! Your a great writer!

LL said...

I'm am waiting for the day when someone first says that I'm the meanest mom in the world. I already told JC that when that happens I'll know I've arrived and I'm taking the rest of the evening off, going out for ice cream, maybe a movie or a massage or something. I think if they never say that stuff then you're just not doing your job. :-)

Congrats on being a slimy frog. :-)

As for the house, are you in offer/counter offer/counter counter/etc? We closed yesterday - YAY! Now we move in next Tuesday, and hopefully don't have the baby before then. Moving and house buying is exciting, but what a pain. Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

Julia had her moments when she was little. Middle school was the pits. I finally realized that I was a safe place for her and one night when she had cut me down with a smart comment I basically said I realized that I was a safe haven, she could say these things to me and know that I still loved her. She couldn't make the same comment to a friend and not risk being shunned, but that didn't mean it hurt me any less.
That was a turning point for us. She still rolls her eyes, and huffs off every so often, but she also tells me about her day, every day, and the boy that she likes. Be patient little slimy frog.

Jana said...

That little Keely makes me laugh so hard. I can't wait to have much more exposure to her. But keep her comments directed to you. I don't want to be a slimy frog. And I would say you communicate very well. It's like she is already 14.:) As for being able to relate. . .Noah has held swords and guns to me and mumbled all sorts of things.

Updates From The Outback said...

Elder Collet is going to love this one! Have you helped Keely write her Australia Journal? (Just nagging)

Updates From The Outback said...

We get that look from Sister Shumway all the time!----Alice Springs Elders

Elizabeth said...

Collin saw this picture of Keely and was wondering why she looked so mad. Then he said "is it because Benjamin is not cool?" I know it doesn't really make sense, but it was funny!

Laura Shumway said...

cute it sounds a lot like something any 4 yr old would do!!