Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dear Keely (on your first day of school)



Dear Keely,

I watched you this morning as you picked at your breakfast because your belly hurt. I know about nerves, I have as many as you do right now. I watched as you slung on the backpack that’s almost bigger than you, looked up at me with a brave face and then admitted that you’re scared. I waited with you at the bus stop and kept talking about how fun your first day of school would be, about how much you’ll love your classes and your teacher, but all the while my stomach churned and tied in knots. I watched you tense as the bus pulled up, then watched you relax as you saw Jade waving to you from the window. I was so proud as you stepped on and went in and I knew that brave step was the one that mattered today. I loved watching you wave from the bus but felt like you were waving goodbye to so much more than me.

As soon as the bus pulled away I dashed to the car so that I could beat that bus to school and be waiting when you got off. When I dropped you off in class I watched you sign your name with that shaky, newly formed penmanship and I smiled as I saw your classmates do the same. When it was time to say goodbye I was so proud of you for letting me go because I know it was hard but even though I didn’t show it at the time I want you to know that it was just as hard for me.

I finally let some tears flow as I drove home. It feels like yesterday that I picked you up for the first time and whispered to you that I’m your momma and I’ll always take care of you. I remember putting you in your car seat carrier and knowing that life would never be the same and it hasn’t – I don’t think you’ll ever truly know how much happiness you’ve added to my life. Now it’s time for me to put on my brave face but I want you to know that although many things will change there are some things that will always stay the same. I will rejoice with you over every accomplishment, cry with you over every painful experience, and nothing will ever make me happier than hugs from my little girl. So, on this big day just know that everything you felt, I felt; know that I spent the morning thinking about you and praying that your first day would go well. Know that the best part of my day will be when you step down off that bus and you’re home. I’m so proud of you and I love you more than you’ll ever know.

All my love,

Mom


20 comments:

Claire said...

Ahh... that made me teary! No good... I'm totally dreading Cecelia's first day of school. And I still have 4 years to go. What a sweet little girl Keely is! I hope she loves her first day of school.

Arah Debra said...

It was so great to be able to experience that with you. I'm so proud of my sweet Keely and love her so much.

kesli said...

I love that you wrote her a letter. She will treasure that forever. Glad to hear that the first day went well for the both of you.

Unknown said...

Cry, that is what I am doing reading your post. I love the letter you wrote her what a great idea. I am home all alone with kids all at school all day, it is very boring.

Hubers said...

I cried reading this. It's so sweet.

Autumn said...

What a beautiful letter! Totally made me cry today! You are such a great writer...any mom who has ever sent their baby off to Kindergarten knows just how you're feeling today!! I'll bet she had a great day!!

Shauri said...

Thanks a lot. Like reality tv isn't emotionally draining enough...sheesh.

Delsa said...

What else can I say that hasn't been said. I think of those past 5 years and I can't believe how they have fled. I love that little gal. Guess I'll write her a letter.

Krazy Kobels said...

Great idea!! I felt the same way and shed a lot of tears. I just hope they don't forget about us!! Hang in there Jaxson loves school and the day goes by pretty quick. His sister is the one who is lost without him. She'll do great!

The Stringham's said...

Lisa, tears filled my eyes the minute I started reading this!

Anonymous said...

What a great mom you are. Here's is a thought...write one the first day of middle school, high school, and collge. Wish I had thought of that 12 years ago...

Updates From The Outback said...

That was beautiful. What a perfect way to preserve those memories. It brings back many memories for me of my own children going off to school and other milestones. I am so grateful for those memories and the privilege of raising you and your sisters and brother. Dad says "ditto". We wish we had written a letter like that for each of you.

Byron said...

It is amazing how fast they all grow up. What a great memory she will always have through your letter. Wish I could somehow get emotional about the school thing -- just always too darn excited!!!

Christin said...

What a touching letter to your daughter. That one's a keeper.

Christin

Jennifer said...

The tears are flowing, how sweet was that letter!

Christina said...

Wow, I can't believe Keely's old enough for Kindergarten already, it seems like just yesterday you brought her home. I just sent Abbie off to her first week of preschool, not quite as scary but hard to believe it's time to let go of our babies just a little bit. Now, go and enjoy your alone time with Ben!

Curt and Naomi said...

Lisa you are the best mom ever! How precious that letter is for your first little angel.

Jana said...

That was so sweet. You are a good mom. And she looks darling!

Bennett Family said...

That was beautiful. I'll have to write Claire a letter when she goes to kindergarten. That was so touching. You are a great writer.

emily said...

What a sweet and articulate letter, Lisa. It's wonderful to see our little ones grow up, but it hurts a little bit too. Keely will love reading this letter as she gets older...definitely a keeper. She looks beautiful and I hope her first day went perfectly.