Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Need…some…sun!

If anyone’s keeping tabs on Midwest weather lately you know things are pretty bleak. Well, not long ago Shawn mentioned that he was going to be teaching a course in Orlando, Florida at the beginning of February and maybe I should come and bring the kids. I came up with an even better idea though…maybe I should come without the kids!

Well, thanks to my beautiful, smart, wonderful, caring (is this too much sucking up?) sister Arah who agreed to come to ice cold Michigan and watch my kids for a week here I am! Shawn and I were talking about it and I’m pretty sure that this is the first time just the two of us have gotten away together (without meeting up with friends, family, or bringing kids) since our honeymoon. Good times!

So, we arrived last Saturday and will be going home on Friday. Shawn didn’t have to start running the course until today, so we had the whole weekend plus together and here are just a few of the things we’ve done:

Our first night here we went and saw the Blue Man Group. We had heard good things but had no idea what to expect. It turned out to be a super fun and super random show. If you ever get the chance, go!
This is the band for the Blue Man group; the guys who play instruments and light up behind the screen anytime the music gets going...hard to explain
Because the next day was Sunday we went to church and then mostly hung out at the hotel. Shawn took this picture of me and said he was going to tell everyone this is what I did our whole time in Florida. Hey, it is my time to relax!
and who wouldn't want to hang out at the hotel with this view? So anti-michigan right now, I love it!
On Monday we went straight over to universal Studios because we knew it was supposed to rain and we wanted to catch some rides before getting rained out. The first ride we took was Dr. Doom's Fear Fall. Anyone who knows me knows I love a good scare. Well the worst (and best) feeling for me is a free fall. I was screaming so hard and so were the women next to me. All the sudden I heard nothing but myself and when I finally opened my eyes I just saw the two women next to me laughing their heads off and Shawn just grinning and shaking his head. Hey, I didn't know that ride was over as I was still screaming, "No, no, no!"
After some pretty weak pictures Shawn and I decided to have a little fun with our photography
Until we got rained out. : (
By the way, Shawn says my pose is totally unnatural on this surf board, but who do you think looks more unnatural?
So today we returned to Universal (we bought a week pass) for one last bout before Shawn started working. We didn't have much time but we did run into Donkey (from Shrek) and he was hilarious. We only got a little bit of video of him harassing us, but he was really great and funny with everyone, I wish we would have recorded the family before us:


So, after Universal today we checked into a new fancy shmancy hotel (the one where the workshop is being held) and I miss our other hotel. I feel so out of place in hotels like this, I feel like you have to tip people all the time for things you could totally do yourself and everything costs...everything! Give me a simple, clean place and I'm happy - let me park my own car, carry my own luggage and drink a bottle of water for less than $5!

By the way, has anyone ever heard of “turn down service?” A maid just showed up to my room to turn down the sheets for me and leave some chocolate with relaxing raspberry and chamomile to help me sleep. Really? Are there some people who can’t pull down the sheets for themselves? Weird!

21 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am thinking that Shawn needs to work on the surfing pose, and that you could stay in your bed all day long if you wanted, but who would, when you get to see the sun! Live it up while you are in nice weather!!!

Kayela said...

How fun to have some time by yourselves. When we went to Hawaii they turned down our sheets and left us little presents every time. We did not know how to act in such a fancy place.

Arah Debra said...

I don't think it sounded like you were sucking up at all, just being honest. I'm glad you guys are having such a great time. Keep having fun and relaxing while back here freezing and slaving away ;-)

Aundrea said...

Can I just say I'm 100% jealous of you right now? 100%! Sounds like Heaven! Enjoy the pampering:) And Arah is awesome for watching the kids for you! What a great sister!

The Lichlyter's said...

Sounds like an amazing trip. Before you know it, you'll be back to the whines and cries. Enjoy yourselves and each other. (:

LL said...

WOW! I totally need to do that. Unfortunately, JC's trips are all to exciting places like Union City, TN or Paducah, KY. Sweet.

As for fancy hotels, I felt the same way when I'd stay at our corporate hotel back when I was working. But I spoil quickly - it didn't take long before I was annoyed if I approached the door and no one jumped up to open it for me. Heaven help us all if I'm ever rich... :-)

KerrieLeigh said...

Wow, I am so jealous! That sounds like so much fun!

Jenny said...

Wait a minute...Not to burst your bubble, but I seem to remember a pretty nice second honeymoon in London about two years ago! LOL!! I'm just jealous!!

Hubers said...

Check out the donkey...that's my favorite part so far!!! Hilar!

Delsa said...

You two take more vacations than anyone I know. How do you get Arah to do this for you all the time? Is there a bribe?

Jess said...

Sounds like a great time! Love the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Ok, fun but can you bring some sun back with you? It has been too long!!

Danelle said...

Lisa, this is going to sound completely cheesomania, but you are so BEAUTIFUL. I am not only jealous of your fun trip, but also that all of the good family genes were apparently stolen from my placenta to be poured into yours at a rate that is seems almost humanly impossible and rather unfair! This is not pure jealousy, though, it is admiration, your beauty is true. I'm glad you two were able to get away and have such a fun time.

Julee said...

spoiled little brat! I am beyond jealous! Last break I had from the kids was to go see twilight for 2 hours. that is what I get for breast feeding! I am glad that you had fun though.

Shauri said...

I'm going to have to vote for Shawn on this one, but I'll have a better idea when I get back from Bali! :) Keeley and I just sat and read these together and she thoroughly enjoyed them! :)

Abbigail said...

FUN! you guys deserve it!

Jana said...

I agree with Delsa. Who gets to take that many trips a year? I want to be you. And I think I remember inviting you guys to Orlando last year. RUDE. We stayed in the same resort. Marriott Grand Vista? Loved it! And I am sure you needed some sun. I am dying here!!!!!!

Autumn said...

I am SO jealous of you right now! Your trip looks amazing! And BTW I would love someone to come turn down my sheetS! Funny!

I miss you...when are you coming to visit?

LL said...

I just saw an article about all the fires in Australia. Are all your parents safe? :-)

Byron said...

Looks like you lived it up going solo. It really is amazing what it is like being just a couple again.

Updates From The Outback said...

Glad you both got the getaway. (And yes, you are lucky to have a sister like Arah and she's lucky to have you.)