Tuesday, August 21, 2007

No Sweets, No Sweetness

So Shawn and I had this crazy idea to go off sugar. I have to admit that Shawn has actually done this several times, but I have never managed to join him – just doesn’t sound fun to me. I have to clarify that I am knowingly a chocolate addict and that’s why I decided to finally go a few weeks without sugar. You know how people say that when they stop drinking caffeine they get caffeine headaches? Well, that’s what happens to me. If I go a day without chocolate I get a horrible chocolate headache – not my imagination! Anyway, you’re probably thinking that I’m a few days into my commitment and I’m having a really hard time. Well I’m not, I’m 2 days into this and I’m having a really hard time. That’s right, day 2! I found this picture and although it’s not the most flattering picture of me, it really reflects how I’m feeling inside.

Here’s a story to illustrate me without sugar. Last time we all flew to Utah, in June, I had a really busy day packing and getting everything ready for the trip and we didn’t have any sweets in the house because I was trying to eat more healthfully. I was a little stressed and on top of that fact I hadn’t had any chocolate for about 24 hours. Well, when we got through security and to our gate I went searching for some food for the trip. After I stocked up on some “healthy” food I ended up running into this delicious little chocolate store, I don’t even know what it was called, but I purchased a chocolate almond bar. When we finally boarded the plane and sat down I opened the bar right up – not even worrying about that healthy junk – and took a bite. Turns out that it was seriously the best little piece of chocolate I’ve ever had! The almonds were salted and combined with the perfectly creamy milk chocolate it was HEAVEN. I turned to Shawn and said, “This is the best thing I’ve ever tasted!” and then he turned to me and said, “That’s the nicest thing you’ve said all day.” Oops!

So….right now I am focusing on being nice to my family and not eating sugar! I’ll keep you all posted. Aaargh!

13 comments:

Jana said...

That was too funny. I was laughing so hard. You can't be serious about no sugar! I don't know if I can be friends with someone that doesn't share the same OBSESSIONS in life! :) How did the rice cereal go?

EFN Newsletter said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one in the family prone to anger when not fed appropriately.

Sharon said...

Chocolate is not sugar, it's a food group! Eat it!

Arah Debra said...

Poor Shawn! I think I'm more worried about him surviving this than you!!

Arah Debra said...

This is rach-Since I am crazy, I too have gone off of sugar at times. I recommend replacements. Stevia-it is natural and has zero calories etc etc. Also, I found some fabulous treats at the health food store made from Carob and sweetened with honey. I know I know carob is a sad comparison to chocolate-but it may take the edge off. Once you make it one week you can do anything-keep trying.

Tanya said...

Ok, I have a friend here who makes this plate thing which says...there are 4 basic food groups: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, chocolate truffles. So true! Is Shawn surviving?

Elizabeth said...

You're totally crazy, I could not do it! But, I admire your persistence, I would have stopped the first day. :)

Jess said...

First of all Happy Birthday! I kept meaning to call then the kids would go crazy and that was the end of that. Second I have to say going off sugar is totally over rated...I keep trying but then the kids do something and all I can think is a little chocolate would help right about now:) so good luck and I hope you at least had birthday cake.

Abbigail said...

Man,
I could not do it. I did the south beach diet for three weeks once and it was not good. I lost some weight, but it wasn't worth it. Although, now I am thinking I should do it again. being healthy is the pits!

Abbigail said...

Lis,
After a few minutes I realized that I need to get some time with you without the kiddos. Do you want to get out sometime and do something fun? If we can't leave the kids then I want to bring F over and let her run around.

Jenny said...

Brave girl!

Updates From The Outback said...

I'm sooooo proud of you! How's it going by now? did you see the Oprah show with Dr. Oz about sugar, diet etc.?

Julee said...

Try going off Chocolate, Flower(wheat), Citrus, Tomatos, and Dairy for seven months now and then I will say that I feel sorry for you. The things we do for our Children!!!!