Sunday, October 7, 2007

Conference Miracle

Every Mormon parent with small children knows that conference weekend is no longer a weekend where you relax, lay back and enjoy being spiritually fed. Conference instead becomes background noise to an already noisy household and for every morsel of spiritual food you get, chances are you’re getting real food spilled on the carpet, caked on your clothes or thrown in your face. Well, this weekend was no different until this afternoon – today we experienced a miracle! We had three families over for dinner and conference. The Sadler family brought a delicious salad, the Elder family brought fantastic dessert, and the Bednars brought peace and quiet! As much as we LOVED the food, the peace and quiet ended up being invaluable!

How did they do it? Well, I won’t give them ALL the credit because in fairness Ben, who accounts for half the noise, was asleep and that was our doing; but our other half of the noise, Keely, was completely conquered by Jeff and Anne. They attended the morning session of conference at the church and then came to our house for the afternoon session. Keely developed a quick crush on Jeff and when Anne got up from the couch Keely quickly moved in. She settled herself as close to Jeff as she dared and then sat still, shy and silent for the rest of conference. Anne was a great sport about losing her spot next to Jeff and even scratched Keely’s back through about half of conference which completely won Keely over and made her one content little girl with two happy parents!

So, what did Keely learn in all that silence and reverence? When Shawn asked her what her favorite part of conference was she responded, “Dad, I didn’t understand a thing they were saying!” What did we learn? Well let’s just say that we invited Jeff and Anne to every conference session, church meeting, family home evening, family scripture study…

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sorry my kids didn't fall in the quiet category...maybe in 20 years?!

Updates From The Outback said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jana said...

Of course Ellie has the bow. I am not a mean mommy! :) How fun to actually hear conference. Thank goodness for dvr's. About the tickets, why didn't you call me?!

Arah Debra said...

I love that! You guys lucked out. I miss the days of laying on the couch and just listening. I didn't know girls got crushes that young.

Updates From The Outback said...

I remember well the struggles with listening reverently to conference when you kids were small! Be glad you got some relief.

Tanya said...

Lucky you, Lars took about 20 minutes total of naps today because we were not at our house.

Julee said...

Oh the days that I could listen to conferance, or Sacrament meeting or that matter. No matter how hard I tried listening Ayden tried even harder to be distracting. Keeley is such a cutie. I can wait to see her and Ben. How did you get ben to sleep thru conferance. I tried but failed!

Unknown said...

Nice to no Keely's weaknesses: a good looking boy and a message. In case any one is counting, I'm also a lot quieter when getting my back scratched and I also have trouble understanding what's going on also!

Autumn said...

Lisa..I can't believe you're a blogger! I was so excited to find this! I hope it's okay that I invaded your family site..I'm so happy to get a glimpse of my long lost friend! Your kids are beautiful!! Check out my blog at thehallidays.blogspot.com-I want to add your link to my blog! Can't wait to hear from you! xoxo

Autumn said...

Craziest thing! I googled it and Shawns family blog came up, then I linked to you! I had no idea your parents were going on a mission! You HAVE to call me so we can get together! I am so happy to reconnect through blogging! xoxo
Oh yeah..you can see Aundreas blog if you link from mine to Rochelles! So fun!

Tanya said...

Ok, did you say you would be back from Blanding on Nov 2nd? Because the booking I said Becky had open was on the 2nd, not the 3rd. Let me know asap! If you need the 3rd I'll see what she says. And consider yourself lucky (with my magic**) because you usually have to book at least a month or two out with her.

Autumn said...

Okay Lisa...I just checked out your whole blog and I have one question! How come I have a pet and you don't? Wasn't the deal that my children could come over to your house to play with all of the animals!?