Sunday, December 9, 2007

No Love for the Prius

I have many times sung the praises of the Prius; a hybrid with amazing mileage, no hassle with keys, video reverse…the list goes on and on. I have always loved the little car and tried to sell others on the merits of owning a Prius. Well, this is not one of those times!

Yes, this is the Prius parked on the grass/driveway. Good old Michigan’s roads are pure ice right now and this little baby didn’t even have the guts to make it up our driveway! So here’s poor little me all alone walking up my slippery driveway with 2 kids in tow while Shawn’s gallivanting around in Ireland (okay, he’s hard at work but right now I feel like he’s gallivanting!).

When I finally had to admit defeat and tell Keely that we were going to have to get out into the cold and hike up the driveway she said, “No, I want to park in the garage!” When I convinced her that it wasn’t possible she got a little dramatic and got out with a huff saying, “This is the worst night of my entire life!”

I then called our neighbors for help and they explained that they would but that it is so slippery that they were afraid the car would slip back and run over them (yes, we’re still talking about the little tiny Prius), which I guess is possible. So there she’ll stay for the night, all alone in the middle of the grass!

Truthfully, I may not sound it but I am actually very grateful. The roads were so slippery tonight that I was just praying that we’d get home and I guess technically we did!

18 comments:

Jess said...

I totally understand you. Jared left for Japan this morning and the freezing rain had just started when we left for the airport. I have never been so happy to get home in one piece. If you still need help tomorrow give me a call I'll come help you push I'm not scared of your little car.:)

Tanya said...

Doesn't sound fun. Now that you're home all warm and cozy you can laugh about it.

Autumn said...

Don't you just hate it when stuff like this happens and your husband is "gallivanting"!? I can just imagine this being the absolute worst night of Keely's life! LOL!

EFN Newsletter said...

I mean, does that driveway's incline even constitute a hill?

Delsa said...

I don't know how Kristin can ask that question. Obviously she didn't try to walk up the slippery incline in the winter often enough - How many times did she slip right off the sides of the driveway- well maybe that had more to do with the slant of the driveway than the incline. I'm glad to know about the Prius before I came home to buy another one.
Must say the drive-way made me a bit homesick, until I remembered the ice and snow.

Janie said...

I didn't know you have a Prius! Don't you love Michigan winters :) I am sure Shawn wishes he could be here, in Michigan, with the ice rather than in Ireland.

Aundrea said...

That doesn't sound like much fun at all! Freezing rain and ice storms are scary! I'm glad you made it home in one piece, and I hope your little Prius makes it back to the garage soon!

Arah Debra said...

I was reading this last night with Steve sleeping next to me. I was trying so hard not to laugh out loud that I was shaking the bed. I don't know why I take such great pleasure in your misfortune. I think It's a Shumway thing.

I also love that Keeley (the little Diva) made such a big deal about having to walk up the driveway.

Elizabeth said...

We saw a white prius the other day and Collin got so excited. He said "mom, there's Keely!" I had to burst his little bubble on that one. She is quite the diva as stated earlier. I was laughing pretty hard.

Lauren said...

Yikes! Just be thankful that you made it home safely with your 2 cuties. That darn Shawn... I was laughing, too like Arah. It must be a Shumway thing for sure to get so much pleasure out of others' misfortune. :)

Anonymous said...

Are you serious? That makes me scarred to go outside. Let me know when it is safe to come out. Not loving these winters!

Jana said...

THAT is why I am not the hugest MI fan. Point proven. Remember my driveway? It could possibly be one of the steepest inclines in the world. We can't even use our garage. Poor Keely. It must be rough growing up with so many modern day amenities!!! :)

Jana said...

I still can't stop laughing at the whole thing. And Delsa is just so sweet about it. I miss her! :)

Sharon said...

I'm so glad it happened in your drive way and not on the road! Take care!

Unknown said...

Hey I just got your christmas card. It is fun to see your blog. I just started blogging mine is Jenny-Nielson.blogspot.com

emandteem said...

Oh Keely! What more can I say! Thanks for the harassment.

emily said...

Sorry but that picture is awesome...and I'm still laughing about it. Glad you guys made it home safely though. And poor Keely, sounds like a rough life :-)

Abbigail said...

I also didn't know you guys had that car. I am so clueless. The roads can be so terrible here, I am glad you all were safe!