Saturday, January 19, 2008

Why I Hate Texting

I know this is so sad but I just don’t get it! The automatic word finishing thing, how to do punctuation, how to capitalize, do numbers, how to turn off auto-word finishing…it’s all beyond me. It’s no exaggeration when I say that I have literally spent 30 minutes on a one line text before, and many times spent that much time and then just given up!

I got a text from one of my good friends 2 days ago announcing the birth of her new baby girl. Now anyone who knows me knows I normally ignore texts but I thought that this blessed event actually deserved some kind of response so I decided to attempt a sufficient reply - “Congratulations!”

I started by pressing “2” three times to make a “C” but instead got “Aaa” and that’s as far as I got before I went to rescue Ben from the hitting his head on the coffee table. In diving to save him (and me) from the woes of a head injury I pressed some key and looked up to see the message being sent on my phone. So that’s what she got in reply to her happy news. “Meet the newest….She is beautiful and healthy! We are so blessed!” Oh, okay “Aaa!”

I thought about sending an explanatory text with a “congrats” at the end but realized it was no use. It would take me far too long to figure out and I’m a busy woman, I have 2 small kids to entertain for about 13 hours a day! Instead I decided that maybe she would think that “Aaa” is an exclamation of celebration, like “Yay!” or “Woohoo!” Hopefully, ‘cause that’s all she got. Hmm, maybe I should send an email??

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you know Julia is a pro at texting. Bring the phone to church and ask her for a lesson.

Aundrea said...

I'm sooo with you about texting! I hate it! Whenever someone starts texting me I just call them...it's much faster:)

Abbigail said...

That is so funny. I stink at texting as well. I don't even know how really. Totally ages me.... I am no spring puppy. I didn't even have my own email account till college.

Tanya said...

Come on, get with the new media...blogs (which you've got) and texting. It took me awhile to get it, but now it's SO convenient!

Jana said...

I too don't mind the text thing. I went through that horrible stage of 30 minute attempts, but it passes.:) And just wait for what Keely is going to do. You have no choice but to learn! :) I love that you sent "Aaa" LOL!!!

Shauri said...

Oh no--leave it at Aaa. Nothing says I'm excited like Aaa.

Arah Debra said...

I'm sure she'll really appreciate your Aaa! I mean don't fell bad that I wrote her a full paragraph about how happy I was for her and how cute her baby is.

Autumn said...

Laughing so hard!....we really should have had that lesson when you were here! Oh well, Aaa is a great response to a new arrival!

Unknown said...

I am the same way. I have to have Brock show me how to texted he thinks I am so old. But thanks for the good laugh.

emandteem said...

I don't even try to pretend to be a texter. And I HATE when people think they can text AND drive at the same time. Come on people.

Jenny said...

hmmm texting? I just barely got a cell phone. I'll leave the texting thing up to the teenagers.

Updates From The Outback said...

I have never sent a text without help and consider it far too irritating to try any further. I won't have a cell for 15 months anyway. Mike says to get with the 21st century technology and I do, except for texting.

KerrieLeigh said...

That is so funny. Could be worse. I have sent people texts meant for someone else and made myself look like a complete idiot, so I know how you're feeling. It took me awhile to get the hang of it but now I absolutely love it. Keep trying!