Friday, February 15, 2008

Peep and the Big Wide World

For any parent who feels like tearing their hair out after watching an episode of Dora, Little Einsteins, Thomas the Train or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse I have a recommendation. If you like any of these shows I just listed I'm very, very sorry; by all means keep watching! : )

This past year Keely has become interested in the older shows (Justice League, Batman, Transformers), which she's definitely not ready for, and bugged by the younger shows ("Mom, why does Dora yell all the time?"), which I can't blame her for. I'm happy to say that we have found a great alternative. A fun, funny, educational show on Discovery Kids called Peep and the Big Wide World. It's about 3 birds (a duck, a bird, and a chicken) who spend their time trying to figure out how the world works. I LOVE the characters, love the story lines and maybe it's because I'm super immature but I also love the humor. I seriously think I like it as much as Keely does and I usually laugh just as hard. Joan Cusack (who I also love) is the narrator and said she took the job because she thought it would be a show that both her 6 year old and her 3 year old would enjoy. I've been shocked at how many people have never even heard of this show so I wanted to just put it out there. If you don't have Discovery Kids it's also on TLC in the mornings. Seriously, give it a try!

11 comments:

Aundrea said...

I'm definitely giving it a try! I love Joan Cusak's voice, so that will make it even better. Those other shows are really starting to get on my nerves too. My favorite is still "The Backyardigans":)

Jana said...

I am totally going to dvr this. My boys are obsessed with Scooby Doo. I catch myself singing the song to myself all the time. Sometimes to Ellie. Help me.

Mandy said...

You are hilarious! I am so going to check out this show! Cade just started liking Dora and Diego, but we'll see how long that lasts. Thanks for the tip!

Rochelle said...

I'm going to watch this Monday with the kids. I need freedom from Diego...

Arah Debra said...

I'll definitely going to have to DVR this. I just checked the times and it's on at 4:30am and 7:00am here. When was the last time you saw Gavin or me up that early?

KerrieLeigh said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't heard of it before either. My kids are always looking for something new.

Autumn said...

I'll also DVR since Jace and I will still be in bed at 4:30 am. Jace has recently started a Spongebob Squarepants obsession....I would love to divert his attention to something more educational! :) p.s. I'm with Keely Dora does yell a lot!

The Rackleys said...

Lisa,

Eric and I totally agree. We LOVE these shows--they totally get us all laughing. The library is full of them.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the rec, especially the Joan Cusack part. We'll check it out for sure! If you have Disney, try Charlie and Lola... it's another great one that Grant and I watch together because it's so funny.

Hope you're well! Nate and I were talking... does Shawn still possess that hilarious fart machine? We still die over that one...

Updates From The Outback said...

Sounds like a good choice. We're happy to have her watching that instead of the junk there is so much of. (Though I don't see what is so bad about Dora and Little Einsteins. Of course I've seen very little of both.

Matt said...

We'll have to look into it, although I think it'll be awhile before we move beyond Dora. I still sing Wiggles songs.