Sunday, November 16, 2008

Already Missing Fall

Today was our first snow. I don't want winter to come! I enjoy Fall time in Michigan so much. it's absolutely gorgeous, beautiful leaves everywhere, great weather and lots of fun but there's always a little shadow hanging over Fall saying, "Winter's coming" and believe me that's a threat here. I swear Michigan Winters last for 6 months and it's sooooooo cold, dark and long . All right, everyone feeling cheery now?

Well, the threat of Winter reminded me that I never posted about our wonderful Fall family trip to upstate New York. We went with the same group we went to Niagara Falls with last year (the Collis and Savage families) plus the Smiths who were great additions to the fun. We rented one big cabin and just enjoyed each others company. There was lots of good food, good conversation and of course some good competition.

As you can see Keely had a fan in Anna (below)

Anna and Ben also got along really well until the last day or so when Anna started saying "I hit Ben now." Yep, she was just making the announcement that she was about to hit Ben. It was actually a great intimidation tactic and I'm sure that it was Ben's Karma, payback for all those innocent people he took on during his hitting stage. I was cracking up everytime she announced her plans.

The cabin had a huge yard complete with a a huge grassy play area (above), a fire pit (below) and a pier on the lake. The kids loved it!

On Friday we went into town and took a ride on a ski lift so we could see the beautiful leaves. The fall colors and fresh air was amazing. Oh, and apparently this little town is known for their grape pie (which I've never heard of) so of course we had to try it and I have to say it was pretty good.
Matthew and Keely were quite the hikers, I swear they could have kept going all day!

On Sunday we went and visited Palmyra and had a great time.

Visitor's Center at the Smith farm

Sacred Grove

Smith cabin

Visitor Center at Hill Cumorah

16 comments:

Arah Debra said...

I'm sorry to say that you won't get much better weather in Utah. That's so funny that Anna would announced her plans to hit Ben. What a crack up!! Sounds like a fun trip!

Delsa said...

It seems like you guys are always taking little vacations. Where do you find all the places you stay. I think we should put you in charge of family vacations next time and give Amy a break.

Unknown said...

How fun, are you coming to Utah?

Janie said...

I am not looking forward to the loooooong, dark winter ahead either. Your trip looks like a lot of fun with sunshine and beautiful leaves everywhere. Yeah for fall!

KerrieLeigh said...

Cute pictures!

Hubers said...

We went to Palmyra on the 4th of July weekend a couple of years back and got a great surprise. At Niagara Falls, the Canadians put on an awesome fireworks show for the Americans. It was really cool, especially for Abram, to see the gift from our friendly neighbors. I guess it happens every year.
Isn't it so fun to take trips like these!??!?

RicAnn said...

How fun is that, you guys got so much in on one vacation. And I agree, Fall should stick around for another month or 2.

Rochelle said...

I've always wanted to go to Palmyra, it looks beatiful and so neat!

I too love the fall!

Happy Holiday's!

Autumn said...

Fall in Upstate New York..seriously one of my dreams! You lucky girl! You have such a beautiful little family! I loved seeing all of your pictures! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

The Cherry Family said...

Love the picture of Matthew and Keely. Matthew's a little ladies man. Watch our Collises.

Becky said...

I wish Fall would stay for the whole length of winter and then we'd just go straight to Spring!
I love going to NY. Glad you had a good time!

Updates From The Outback said...

We want to go there some time. It looks like so much fun. That "I hit Ben now." is hilarious.

Jana said...

Sounds like a great trip. I love living out east so we can do all these neat things and go to so many cool places. Maybe one day our families can take a trip?!!! As long as there is some sort of talent show involved.

Unknown said...

Uhm, how 'bout missing your blog? You're about to lose your spot in the coveted "Abram Ellis' daily blog review schedule." Don't do that.

Jennifer said...

Madison just asked me the other day when her friend with reddish blond hair was coming back for a sleep over. I finally realized it was keely she was talking about. SO funny how they remember a good time so well!

Mandy said...

Your kids are just too cute! I love all the pics! Looks like you guys had an awesome time! Hope we can get together sometime soon!